We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Hire Purchace
Pressleyno1
Posts: 174 Forumite
Hello, I was a silly young man. I went to the car garage about a year & half ago and bought a 2nd hand car - 02 plate - on hire purchace. It is a nice wee black punto sporting. It was valued at £5500, I didn't have the money so opted to pay it up each month.
I took this option over 4 years, and currently pay £150 per month. To my shock I still have £ 5,362 left to pay !
Obviously this has got me thinking, that I don't want this hanging over me. I'm currently trying to get a mnortgage etc sorted out, and want to pay out as little as possible.
I don't think I'd be able to sell the car for £ 5,362 or even £5k, according to parkers, I'g get at the most, £3.5k - £4k. I'm just wondering what the option might be if there are any.
I took this option over 4 years, and currently pay £150 per month. To my shock I still have £ 5,362 left to pay !
Obviously this has got me thinking, that I don't want this hanging over me. I'm currently trying to get a mnortgage etc sorted out, and want to pay out as little as possible.
I don't think I'd be able to sell the car for £ 5,362 or even £5k, according to parkers, I'g get at the most, £3.5k - £4k. I'm just wondering what the option might be if there are any.
Feb 06 *****Highest Debt*****
Credit card - £800 in the red // Overdraft - £750 in the red // Loan - £2000 in the red
*****Current Debt*****
Credit card - GONE ! // Overdraft - GONE ! // Loan - GONE ! // Savings (Oct 12) - £6.5K+ :money:
Credit card - £800 in the red // Overdraft - £750 in the red // Loan - £2000 in the red
*****Current Debt*****
Credit card - GONE ! // Overdraft - GONE ! // Loan - GONE ! // Savings (Oct 12) - £6.5K+ :money:
0
Comments
-
try reading this
http://www.direct.gov.uk/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/ManagingDebt/DebtsAndArrears/DebtsAndArrearsArticles/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=10013226&chk=1uPl5UEU tariff on agricultual product 12.2%
some dairy products 42.1% cloths 11.4%
EU Clinical Trials Directive stops medical advances0 -
HP usually has a clause where you can hand the car back once half the payments are made. You won't get anything but won't owe anything.
Check your HP agreement for the exact details.
Regards
XXbigman's guide to a happy life.
Eat properly
Sleep properly
Save some money0 -
If its a regulated agreement then once you have paid 50% of the finance cost you should be able to hand it back. The figure should be on the agreement. Who is the finance with?0
-
On-Line finance - through Arnold ClarkFeb 06 *****Highest Debt*****
Credit card - £800 in the red // Overdraft - £750 in the red // Loan - £2000 in the red
*****Current Debt*****
Credit card - GONE ! // Overdraft - GONE ! // Loan - GONE ! // Savings (Oct 12) - £6.5K+ :money:0 -
Pressleyno1 wrote:On-Line finance - through Arnold Clark
ooo them, i bought a car in feb 01 from arnold clark thru them, as paying it fine, until i was planning on leaving the country in July 02, only response they gave me was they could take the car back, but issue me with a default and i'd be liable for the balance after they had sold the car at auction
now i couldnt sell the car privately cos legally they owned it, so i had to take a bank loan out to pay them off in order for me to sell the car0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards