We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Ideas for free bits to put in Advent calendar and stockings

Hello. It was brought to my attention at supper tonight that it's December on Friday - :eek: Time to get out the felt Advent calendar with pockets, but what on earth am I going to put in it? I might be able to manage £2 or £3 on bits to put inside it, but I'd like to avoid even that if possible. This is for our four year old (the older two's mother sends them one which obviously has chocolate in it - :confused: ), and so far I have come up with:
  • extra bedtime story
  • stay up an extra half an hour (non-school nights only!)
  • chocolate coin (we have those already)
  • the odd sweet (ditto)
  • a sticker (would need to buy)
  • home-made Christmas biscuit, but I don't want to go made on the sweet treats
  • home-made glittery heart or other shape

Can anyone thing of anything else? I know you can, you're an impressively resourceful bunch! For her stocking | have a couple of bits bought pre-LBM, but since LBM have squirrelled away the stickers from the paper a couple of weekends ago and that's it :(

All ideas gratefully received, thanks.
If you can't be a good example, be a dire warning :D

MBNA charges and interest frozen
Egg/DLC repayment agreement reached

Feels like progress!

Comments

  • raindeer food for the 24th to leave on doorstep for santa
    Barclaycard 3800

    Nothing to do but hibernate till spring






  • Could you 'recycle' a few small toys that have been forgotten at the bottom of the toy box? I have a three year old and there are so many things he does not play with on a regular basis. We have a whole farm set he was bought for christmas last year that he was not interested in. It has been in a box under the bed all year and is going to be 'given' again this Christmas!

    bellsbells

    DFW nerd no = 281 (graduate)

  • How about a handful of raisins dusted with icing sugar - or any other kind of sugar?

    Thinly slice an apple & dust with cinammon & sugar (I know, sugar again!) Dry the apple in the oven on a low heat - you'll probably find a good recipe for these online.

    I've been trying to think of something you could wrap the above in to make them a bit more exciting. Like sugared almonds are at weddings - that kind of thing. I'm a bit brain dead but might think of something later
    Official DFW Nerd Club member 216 - Proud to be dealing with my debts :D
    Amazon Sellers' Club member 64

    GM Challenge make £50 = £12
    2007 Olympic Challenge - Silver = £726.83
    2007 Olympic weight loss challenge - 25 lbs = 3 lbs
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    i tend to avoid putting gifts/sweets in ours, just put little notes in the pockets, with things to do, etc on them

    so things like go for a walk & have a winter picnic, with flask of soup and hot sausage rolls

    choose favourite meal for tea

    movie nite - watch a dvd in the dark with some popcorn

    decorating christmas tree

    'Mr postman', where you deliver all your local cards by hand - for a 4yr old this is good fun, and on the plus side, you get a job done ;-)

    i usually work visit to santa into being one of the treats too

    also check the pockets, to see what is coming up the next day, as some of the ideas, you may have to swap around, ie the walk and picnic one, which tends to get moved depending on the weather. i find its best to move it, before they read the note, and then get arsy because they cant do it

    hth flea
    • small box of crayons
    • glitter pen
    • hair bobble or glittery hair accessory (if a girl)
    • novelty eraser
    • do you ever keep the "free gifts" out of cereal packets?
    • voucher for "kitchen fun" - make a cake together
    :eek: What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about? :eek:
    Official "Bring back Mark and Lard NOW! or else (please)" Member 16
  • Seaxwyn
    Seaxwyn Posts: 4,896 Forumite
    Hi OneSpike

    My kids only have the paper advent calendars with pictures behind the doors - in true DFW style I have saved last year's but my mum stepped in and brught new ones so now we have a surplus!

    I am collecting freebies for stockings. Here is what I've got in case it triggers any ideas.

    - sheets of stickers, free from the library
    - toys sneaked out of party bags over the year
    - newsagent has given me a few toys detached from the front of unsold comics
    - newsagent also gave me a CD of xmas carols that came with the Daily Mail
    - last year my sister saved lots of little toys out of crackers at her work's xmas lunch
    - I am keeping an eye on Freecycle for possible presents. Last year I got some action men and accessories, including a sports car.
    Total debt: 1 January 2007 £[strike]49,387.79[/strike] 1 January 2012 £[STRIKE]19,312.85[/STRIKE] 1 August 2012 £11,517.62



  • For stocking:
    If you do have that few quid, don't forget that charity shops have books & toys, childrens clothes, videos & DVDs for very small amounts of money.

    I don't know about the advent calendar (I nver had one as a child) but I would have suggested the choccy coins or wrapped hard boiled sweets.
    Bank Balance: In the black for the moment.
    Sainsburys Loan: Cleared July 2010
    Credit cards: AMEX Airmiles Card: direct debit set to clear balance monthly
  • This thread it such a great idea! *claps her hands*

    Here are some thoughts that came to my mind for stocking fillers, presents, etc:

    How about a picture frame made with raw pasta? It's surprisingly durable and depending on which pasta varieties you find in your cupboard can be very excentric! You can paint the pasta for extra effect. I made one for my mom when I was 6 and she had it for ages!!

    How about creating a calendar for the family/grandparents/etc. with pictures you might have taken throughout the year and little events written in like a board game evening, picnics, a visit to the museum, the library, etc.

    It's still a few weeks to go and you could try your hands on knitting a hat/scarf/sock?

    Ohhhh, I know! I know!!! Make a wheat bag!!! This is such a great present! I made loads last year, one for each family. They are little sacks of heavy grain, you put them in the microwave or in the oven, heat them up for a few minutes and place them on aching shoulders, joints or use them like a hot water bottle. Bliss! They are ridiculously expensive and cost next to nothing to make yourself! Here is how to make one: you need wheat grain (which is very, very cheap - approx £0.59/packet, you need around 1.5 packets per wheat bag. Holland & Barrets sells it!), two types of material: for the inner sleeve an old tea towel or pillow case is ideal as long as it doesn't have any holes, for the outer sleeve something pretty, a t-shirt that doesn't fit anymore, a soft or nice material you would want to cuddle. Now, cut out two matching rectangles (approx. 22cm x 10cm-ish) from each material (or however large you want your wheatbag to be), the outer sleeve maybe 1cm longer/wider than the inner sleeve, and sew them up until only one narrow side is open on each sleeve. Now pour the wheat grain into the inner sleeve. You can also add dried blossoms or herbs to the grain, ideally lavendar or a few drops essential oils. Rosemary is also nice! Cinnamon, cloves, etc. Plunder the herb garden, search through the spice rack!! Or leave it plain. Without spilling the wheat check if there is enough wheat in the sleeve. The sleeve should still be very flexible, you should be able to fold it, if it lies on its side the wheat should distribute so that there is at least a half inch of grain spread evenly in the sleeve. You know what I mean? If it feels right sew the narrow opening shut and then insert the inner sleeve with the grain into the (slightly larger) outer sleeve and sew that shut as well. If you are so inclined you can embroider the recipient's name on the wheatbag or something like that. I bought some cheap plain material last year and embroidered little white flowers from wool I had left over.
    When you are finished test the wheatbag. Place it in the (clean) microwave and heat it up for 3 - 5 minutes. Oven works as well but will take a little longer to heat up. Do not use the grill!!!! Careful when you take it you, place it on your shoulders to enjoy the warmth! It's like giving away a hug.


    Right, I have to do some more work for uni. Am back later!
    diekleinemue
    :starmod:
  • I also had another thought (it does happen occasionally).

    Is there a TV character or singer/band that she really likes? If so maybe you could scout around for pictures of him/her/it/them in magazines or print off the t'interweb and put in a frame. Like the one described above for instance! I bet she'd love that.....
    Bank Balance: In the black for the moment.
    Sainsburys Loan: Cleared July 2010
    Credit cards: AMEX Airmiles Card: direct debit set to clear balance monthly
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.