MSE News: Free money advice service launches

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The Money Advice Service, initially set up by the Government, will provide unbiased help on financial matters ..."

Comments

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • SnowMan
    SnowMan Posts: 3,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 4 April 2011 at 12:05PM
    Good news for people in Scotland and Wales. But not so good news for England and Northern Ireland.

a4e were involved in the financial skills training pilot in the North West area, but we never saw any sign of them in our area at any point during this.
    Not a single appearance.

They are a commercial company, nothing wrong with that of course. However their sole aim seems to be to make profit while minimising what they actually do to help people from my experience. Their motives are completely wrong.

A service like this needs to be run by an organisation that people trust.

Do the contracts run for 3 years initially? It will be interesting to compare what happens in Wales and Scotland with what happens in England and Northern Ireland. Perhaps things will be better in 3 years time.
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • ~Brock~
    ~Brock~ Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You can dress it up as much as you like with flashy new initiatives, but advice is only ever any use to someone who....

a) Is prepared to seek it out
    b) Is prepared to listen to it
    c) Is prepared to change whatever has got them into the position of needing the advice in the first place
  • And I would love to know how much has been spent either in the re-brand of this or setting it up...

What was wrong with how it was to start with?
    David :)
    £1 of debt is too much for me!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family