Annuity v. Bonds v. ???????????

Options
My retired mum (71) has about £100k to provide an income in addition to her pension income.

We have discussed buying an RPI annuity, fixed rate bonds paying a monthly income, and investing in equities/funds.

For annuities, there are various calculators out there that help you identify the best rates, but are they like unit trusts i.e. if you do it thru an IFA (rather than direct) you get a better rate thru commission share?

Bonds e.g. building society paying 5% p.a. for 5 years and a monthly income from it.

Equities/funds - she does not really want to risk her capital.

Any thoughts on the above, and alternative options? e.g. saw a mention of "structured products" whatever they are on another thread.
illegitimi non carborundum

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    For annuities, there are various calculators out there that help you identify the best rates, but are they like unit trusts i.e. if you do it thru an IFA (rather than direct) you get a better rate thru commission share?

I would be surprised if many do them direct. Although I would guess that the terms are not great.
    Equities/funds - she does not really want to risk her capital.

She is replacing investment risk with inflation risk and shortfall risk. Also, with the annuity, she is effectively risking the capital and risking her income. £100k with income withdrawn will be worth around £67k in 10 years time. 5% income will be worth around 3.35% income.
    alternative options? e.g. saw a mention of "structured products" whatever they are on another thread.

Typically a maximum of 25% of your holdings and no more than 10% with any one market counterparty. Terms are not great at the moment.

Chances are that a few solutions would be required rather than just one. Including pension contributions.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure