We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

final warnings

On Saturday I recieved "final" leters from my creditors. this is despite writing to them every step of the way and also trying to get the info together for my PPIs. I have sent them my CCCS letters but cannot start my DMP until my new bank account is functioning. These letters are really scaring me but equally I am too scared to phone them up especailly as I can only do it from work and I am worried I will cry. Do I have to speak to them or will the letters be enough? My bank ( Lloyds are taking out he full amount for my loan leaving me without enough money to start my DMP) Do the letters mean they will take me to court or if passed to a DCA what will happen? Do I just send all the letters to CCCS? Please help feeling pretty awful today as it just doesn't seem to get any better.

Comments

  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Speak to CCCS and tell them of your concerns.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

    HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

    DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • sammy115
    sammy115 Posts: 15,267 Forumite
    Can you not arrange for your money to go elsewhere until your bank account is fully functioning. Surely a savings account in a building society at least that you can open instantly.

    And ring CCS that is what they are there for
    Quality is doing something right when no one is looking - Henry Ford
  • HHH, please, please don't worry about the letters, or about speaking to DCAs.

    If you are making payments or in the process of setting up arrangements, there is very little that your creditors can do.

    I know it's a very scary situation to be in and your creditors will make all sorts of wild threats which rarely actually happen, and if they do, what's the worst that will happen?

    My advice would be to speak to the CCCS as they provided some very good advice about dealing with creditors and the right way to speak to them and make offers.

    Also, be strong, stand up for yourself, you're doing the best you can. The people you speak to are people as well, even though they might seem like the coldest people on the planet. They can't hurt you or lock you up.

    Best of luck to you.
  • roger56
    roger56 Posts: 478 Forumite
    HHH wrote:
    Do I just send all the letters to CCCS? Please help feeling pretty awful today as it just doesn't seem to get any better.

    Don't send original letters, keep them for you records you may need them as proof. Send copies by all means if relevant.

    Also keep copies / notes of all your correspondence / emails / phone calls etc
  • HHH
    you poor thing - don't worry - I know that's easy to say but I think they are trying to scare you. You are doing all you can - If you can muster up the courage to make the calls do try because I think many of these companies do have a more human side if you make contact. explain how concerned and worried you are and your situattion and I'm sure they'll be more sympathetic. Can you offer even a token gesture of an extra pound? I think that the worst thing you can do is ignore them as this just moves you further into their default system andsets the wheels in motion for further action.
    Talk to CCCS and see what else they can advise.
    Good Luck and Stay Strong!
    jojo
  • I have loads of final warnings even some we are going to cut you off from npower. As long as you keep talking and pay what you can it's never as bad as it seems.
    Barclaycard 3800

    Nothing to do but hibernate till spring






  • madduck
    madduck Posts: 291 Forumite
    HHH - I know that things probably seem really scary just now, but it will get better honestly. You've taken the hardest step in getting help. CCCS are really good and if you have any worries, just give them a call. I'm 2 and a half years into my DMP and there are still things that come up that I think "help!" and ring them up. Between them and this board I always manage to calm down. Wish I knew about this board when I was in your position.

    You'll probably find out over the next couple of months that some debt collection agencies and arrears departments are heartless sods. They will threaten you with all sorts, try to make you feel even worse than you already do - all to try to get more money out of you. At the end of the day, some of them don't have scruples and definately don't have any interest in your well being. They simply want as much money from you as they can get. I'm sure that some of them think that we don't pay them more simply because we enjoy their constant grief - hell - I'm on a DMP purely because I wasn't getting enough telephone calls and I wanted to make sure that the postman put abusive letters through my letterbox every day.

    True - some of the companies are ok to deal with. They understand what you are going through and as long as you don't try to pull the wool over their eyes, they play fair with you. It was actually one of the companies that I owed money to that pointed me in the direction of CCCS.

    When your DMP is up and running you'll probably find that some of the creditors will pass to DCAs (who seem to be easier to deal with), most will defaul you (seems a pretty much automatic response to not making contractual payment levels) and some may threaten you with a CCJ. At the end of the day, as another poster has already said to you - what is the worst that they can do? Your credit rating will be shot to pieces (but who wants to get more credit some time soon anyway?), your DMP is supported by an income and expenditure statement which shows that you are paying all that you can afford and if they do take you to court, the court will probably acknowledge this and won't make you pay more money than you can afford.

    Keep strong - don't let them grind you down.
  • HHH_2
    HHH_2 Posts: 442 Forumite
    Thanks everyone for the advice and kindness. I'll phone CCCS today Have just posted off my A&L basic account application. fingers crossed they say yes and then I can get started with my DMP and hopefully things will gradually improve
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.