We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Sainsburies Slicing Policy

Usually go to sainsburies for lunch as I can grab a french stick for 26p and a pot of tuna / egg mayo for about 60p.

I ask the guys in the bakery dept to slice it for me and usually they will, however there is one woman who is adamant that "we don't / can't slice french sticks. Never have, never will" and it usually takes a bit of pleading and puppy dog eyes to make her give in.

If anyone else has the opportunity to try this, could they let me know if it's a nationwide policy, or just a jobsworth in my local store?

Yeah, I'm bored.
«1

Comments

  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Yeah, I'm bored.

    Hi GP - where have you been? We miss the important issues that you campaign for. :beer:
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

    HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

    DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • Had a cold. Been away with work for a bit. etc etc etc.

    It's good to be back rog!

    The bread thing confused me a little bit though. Don't have a problem with rules as long as I can see the reason for them, you know? I like to ask 'why is that the case' sometimes, and I can't figure it out with the bread. They'll do it for any other type of loaf, even the soft ones like Tiger Bread which the slicing machine really messes up. But French Sticks? Thats a big no no.

    I'm just trying to see the logic of a rule which says "We will slice up dough that we have baked in THIS shape, but we will not slice up dough that we have baked in THIS shape".

    Seems completely arbitrary to me. I'm going there today for lunch to see if the woman is on and to try and get to the bottom of this...
  • Brassic
    Brassic Posts: 557 Forumite
    There is always someone like this. I used to grab one of the mini french sticks (no need for slicing) and one slice of breaded ham, and then get the person on the deli to slice me 2 thin slices of brie so I didn't need a knife, I just stuffed it all in - yummy. However, every now and again there was some jobs worth who would insist it wasn't possible to do this. <sigh> I just used say fine, then ask the next person who came free to do it. <shrug>

    Mmm, hungry now :D
    Debts @ lightbulb moment (13/06/2006) - £59,842.23 :eek: All commercial debts now clear!!! :T Debts April - £20,000 to family (incl extra £10k borrowed for house deposit). DFD - Aug 2014
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
    Goal of the month - £500 on groceries for family of 5 - Apr 2011 - £620! :( May - £454.85 so far.
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    It could WELL be a 'jobsworth' thing GP :mad: In our local Tesco, some of the staff will not slice a loaf that has been reduced in price - they say that the 'yellow label' system does not allow it :confused: yet others will slice them with no problem.
    In all fairness though - have you seen the slicing machines? They are shaped to take a standard batch type loaf, and a french stick will tend to move about in the guide - not giving the best results.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

    HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

    DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • rog2 wrote:
    In all fairness though - have you seen the slicing machines? They are shaped to take a standard batch type loaf, and a french stick will tend to move about in the guide - not giving the best results.

    I used to work in Asda when I left school and did a few shifts in the bakery, adn teh mnachine in Sainsburies doesn't look that different from the one I used. The only problem seems to be that it's hard to slide the sliced french stick into the bag at the end, but I've told them I don't mind if it's just thrown into a bread bag (retaining the original french stiuck shape isn't high on my list of bread-based priorities...:o )
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    The only problem seems to be that it's hard to slide the sliced french stick into the bag at the end, but I've told them I don't mind if it's just thrown into a bread bag (retaining the original french stick shape isn't high on my list of bread-based priorities...:o )

    Very true - can't argue with that. :beer:
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

    HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

    DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • I just had one of those really strong memories from working at asda...as well as slicing the bread, I also had to put the fresh donuts onto the metal 'dipping device', plunge them into the boiling oil for a few seconds, sprinkle them with sugar and put them in boxes....

    I know it's technically theft and I'm not condoning it but I did have a few free samples. It made me the mountain I am today.

    You'll never ever starve if you work in a supermarket. Unless you get caught, of course.

    :rolleyes:
  • I work in Sainsburys and I overhead the Bakery Manager complaining about customers who wanted their reduced bread sliced:D, he said what was the point in reducing it if they (the customers) wanted it sliced!! Obviously time is money!!!!:D :D

    AMD
    Debt Free!!!
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I work in Sainsburys and I overhead the Bakery Manager complaining about customers who wanted their reduced bread sliced:D, he said what was the point in reducing it if they (the customers) wanted it sliced!! Obviously time is money!!!!:D :D

    AMD

    Obviously well schooled in the art of customer relations. :rolleyes: :mad: :rolleyes:
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

    HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

    DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • LJD1_2
    LJD1_2 Posts: 2,173 Forumite
    Well my hubby works opposite sainsburies and he had to pop in for a few bits today. I asked him to carry out your experiment for you so now he thinks i've lost the plot. He was told that whilst they couldn't slice it in the machine she's pop in the back and slice it with a knife for him. Now that's service!
    January budget
    Nothing left!
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.