McKenzie Hall

Options
Hi guys

i am new on here so just finding my way.

just a quick question really.

I keep getting phone calls and txt messages off mckenzie hall, not sure who these jokers are but they are beginning to annoy me.

They say i am in debt and should contact them, i have not yet but am tempted to just to shout at them.

Thing is i cant remember being in debt. I got close to being put onto a debt collection agency in feb, this was with HSBC, but i paid that overdraft off in one big payment and my account got closed, can they still charge you on a closed account??? may seem like a dumb question but i have to ask.

Also got a student loan back in 2008 but as i am unemployed i cant pay it back yet, but also dont you only pay them back once your earning over £15,000

other that that i have no idea what they are on about

could i be the victim of fraud?

can i find out if i am in debt from some where

Cheers guys

adam boushear :) :j

Comments

• Atom
    Atom Posts: 295 Forumite
    edited 31 March 2011 at 6:17PM
    Options
    Ask them to contact you in writing only to prevent all the nuisance phone calls, im sure there is a template somewhere, but if i where you i would get my credit report from all 3 CRA's and make sure nothing is on there that shouldn't be - it's the only way to find out, and yeah your right you start repaying the student loan after you leave your course, get a job and are earning over £15,000 a year.
    The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience and ability.
  • boushear
    boushear Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Cheers Atom

Gonna have to play dumb here so apologies

what is a CRA and how do i get a report from them
  • Atom
    Options
    They are Credit Reference Agencies who hold all your credit data such as loans credit cards overdrafts mortgages etc etc and they tell lenders how well you are paying them if you have defaulted or made any late payments etc, the main 3 are Experian, Equifax and Callcredit - you can get your statuary report for just £2 off each one and when you get them like i said make sure everything is in order.

http://www.callcredit.co.uk/
    http://www.experian.co.uk/
    http://www.equifax.co.uk/
    The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience and ability.
  • boushear
    Options
    cheers atom

i am a little wary of putting my card details online but i will give it a go

like i say tho i have never had a credit card and not bought anyting over £400 and i had the funds to pay for that amount. I think they are trying to trick me

thanks again :)
  • Atom
    edited 31 March 2011 at 6:51PM
    Options
    If you have no idea what they are chasing you for it is best to make sure you are not a victim of identity fraud - you just never know these days, it happens all the time !

I would not worry about entering your card details onto those sites mate - they are pretty well secured, but i am like you always wary - best thing to do is get a pre paid card or use a card with no credit facility and just move the money your going to spend into it. =)

And i wouldn't give mackenzie hall the steam off my p*ss.
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    This certainly won't be your recent hsbc debt.
    MacHall almost always deal with old debts, unlikely to be anything within the last couple of years at all, far more likely to be a debt of 5+years old.

MacHall are also infamous for buying a debt and then trying to find the true debtor by sending out letters to anyone they can find with the same name - that could easily have happened in your case - that its someone else's debt.

If they call again tell them to put everything in writing. If they then write to you come on here for advice and we can help with template letters to get rid of them. If they keep calling you just hang up. If they still keep calling you then you need to complain about them to the OFT.

Regarding getting your credit files - if you don't want to pay online you can get a print out form and then send a cheque or postal order.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • boushear
    Options
    Cheers Atom lol Cheers Atom and Tixy

the steam off your p*** is prob worth more than them lol

just been on that free 30 day trial for experian and joined, the HSBC one for £503 is in green, i am assuming it is paid, the other thing that showed was orange which is also in green. i dont really know what i am looking at but those were the only figures i could find.

my hsbc account should be closed should it be on there and will it always stay on there?

again thanks
  • boushear
    Options
    but also in the summary it says outstanding debts £548, i know i hav paid HSBC and the phone. i am confused :(
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    Info on your credit file is often a month to even 6weeks out of date so don't worry that it says you have outstanding debt if you know you have paid it off.

What you would have been looking for was any account in the name of MacHall or any account that isn't greens or any mention of a default. Sounds like you don't have anything like this.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • boushear
    Options
    Yeah didnt see anything to do with mckenzie hall, and now you mention it i checked and the records where out by a month so the account might not show as cleared.

i will pretty much leave it for now, if they keep bugging me can i complain to anyone?

cheers for all your help i just wanted to know i am in the clear

if something else happens i will be back lol

adam :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills