We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Newbie requires some info.

Hi all,

My OH and myself are in a spot of bother at the mo with money.

I have gone from being weekly paid to monthly paid, and won't get my first pay packet until the 27th of December.

I am not sure if we can pay a couple of CC this month, and of course Christmas is in between.

Is it possible for me to write to the companies and ask for a payment break?
Would they even consider it?
Can anyone offer any alternatives?

Help?:confused:

Comments

  • I have no idea but its worth asking, what about OH subbing you until you get paid. Mayebe is would be a good idea to set up direct debits with your credit cards so they get paid just after your payday. Thats one of Martins tips :wink:
    Just owe Dad £2500 for a new car
    :A

    Paid off car loan 22nd August 2009. :T
  • Mrs_Sparkle
    Mrs_Sparkle Posts: 1,805 Forumite
    It won't hurt to ask them- the worst they can do is say no.
    Debt at highest May 2006: £27,472.24
    currently: £13,353.25
    DFW Nerd 178
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • We don't have seperate finances, everything that we earn basically goes on bills, and anything that is left over is kind of put in a kitty to use on shopping, luxeries etc.

    Setting up a DD won't help the in between time between now and the 27th, i can pay it, but won't be able to do Christmas.

    I have even cancelled 2 Christmas do's because i simply couldn't afford to go, they expect me to stum up £85 for a hotel for the night, plus drinks, etc, of course i will get it back in expenses, but i think it is a silly amount of money to pay out initially when in fact i have to buy my train ticket for the month which is £80.

    I just need some time out until i get paid.
  • Snich
    Snich Posts: 174 Forumite
    Sometimes you can ask for an advance on your pay in these situations. Worth an ask from your employer.

    (My friend did this and got 200pounds to cover bills)
    Good luck!
    Snich
    Proud to be Dealing with my Debts
  • I meant set it up in the new year. once you have paid Decembers. It can be a nightmare when your payday changes and to have this change in December is even worse. I wouldnt be able to pay my cc unless I asked my parents or hubby. or unless I phoned them and asked for a payment break or what the penalty would be if paid late.
    Just owe Dad £2500 for a new car
    :A

    Paid off car loan 22nd August 2009. :T
  • I did think of asking for an advance, but then i figured that i will be skint anyway after waiting for so long to get paid, if i asked for an advance i would have to pay it back in my next pay packet, so i will end up in a similar situation.

    I have thought of selling the car in case, but we live in the sticks so really need it.

    Thanks for your help anyway, i will figure someting out.
  • I have recently had an advance from my employer. Most places are quite reasonable and know that when changing from weekly to monthly it can be a nightmare!!
    Made it - 15 years married!! Finally!! xx:beer:
  • No doubt a rotten idea but could you not pay them and then live on cc's for the month until paid. You can lift cash if needs be to pay the bills. Means adding to your debt but will see you through this uncertain time
  • When I worked for BP (many years ago) we were changed from weekly to monthly pay, and we could apply for an advance which we then paid off over the next four (I think) months, interest free.

    Perhaps your employer would consider an advance and allowig you to repay it in istalments? It's worth asking, the worst they can do is say no.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.