1st Credit

Options
Hi

I hope I've posted this in the correct section. I am asking for a little advice.

I owed Untility Warehouse £57.00 which was billed after I moved out of a house 2 years ago. 1st Credit recetly wrote to me and said the debt had been passed onto them.

I am in the process of negotiating a final payment via their supposedly secure email service. There have been a few communications between me and them, and I was today awaiting their latest response to my offer.

However, today when I opened my email and saw an email from them I expected to read their reply, but the email contained the details of another person which had obviously been sent to me in error.

The details I am now in possesion of include, name, physical address, date of birth, email address and their long history of emails from the customer and 1st credit. This includes the amount they owe and the personal circumstances of the customer.

Surely this must be a breach in data protection, and if so what action could and should be taken against 1st Credit? I have emailed this person and let them know of the breach, but am wondering what other action can be taken either by myself or the injured party?

Many thanks

Comments

• PNPSUKNET
    PNPSUKNET Posts: 4,265 Forumite
    Options
    doesnt it have a disclaimer?
  • nottoolate
    nottoolate Posts: 1,359 Forumite
    Options
    Surely this must be a breach in data protection, and if so what action could and should be taken against 1st Credit?

yes. it is.

1st credit should have proceedures in place to make sure that doesn't happen.

could report it to the ico but they probably won't do much.

the other person may be able to get some compensation out of 1st credit

similar case a few weeks ago where the person got an apology and £50-100? somethign like that.
  • ZeitgeistWarrior
    Options
    Not sure what you mean by disclaimer?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills