We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

New here...can't stop thinking about money!

Hi. I'm new here and just wanted some advice really. I had a panic about 1 1/2 years ago as was in £6800 debt in various places. Got a loan to cover it and am now managing payments of £104 per month and am down to £5500, I am okay with this.

However, just ove a year ago I sat down with fiance to work out his money as he never seemed to have any money (we both work full time, he in sales so income varies between 1000-1400. I had a massive shock when I realised he was in 17000 debt!!!! We had the biggest argument ever as I couldnt beleive it had got to this level without him realising and I couldnt see a way out. there was never an option of leaving him as I love him too much...Phoned a number of loan companies, but they would not give a loan. Finally went to the bank to speak to them and they gave us a (joint) loan to cover his debt. He is managing the payments on top of the other stuff (like mortgage), but never has any money left after these go out. We have no credit cards now and are living within our means.

We are getting married next year. I am trying like mad to save as would like a honeymoon. I dont want life to stop for 7 years. I have come to terms with the debt and am happy that it is slowly reducing, howvere, I do wake up thinking about what it....scenarios (e.g. what if he loses his job? -he cant get life insurance. What if I get pregnant....etc) I would like to start a family in a couple of years but cant see any way that this is possible as I could not afford to give up work, and we couldnt afford to put a child in nursery. We wouldnt get help with nursery costs as we earn too much (and they dont seem to take outgoings into account) Noone knows how much debt we are in and couldnt tell anyone. I keep thinking about 2012 when we will be debt free but dont want to put off having a family until then.

How do people manage having children when they are in debt? I just feel that children are not an option until we are debt free???

Comments

  • To be able to offer you as much relevant advice & support please could you post a statement of affairs of your income, outgoings, debt, with as much detail as possible. Then we can suggest ways of reducing your outgoings giving you more money to through at your debt, thus bring your debt free day closer :D
    Fashion on a ration 2025 0/66 coupons spent
    79.5 coupons rolled over 4/75.5 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

    One
     income, home educating family 
  • moozie_2
    moozie_2 Posts: 3,063 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    OP has another thread going here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=314289

    Hope this helps :)
    Leason learnt :beer:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,487 Community Admin
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    There is always a way. You will find a way if you stick around in the DFW environment.
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • raq
    raq Posts: 1,716 Forumite
    You just do.

    We have a few children and I finished work this year. I have worked for the past 22 years and was always trying to make ends meet. It's only know although we still have debt there is more monies coming into the house. Sounds awful I know because it's benefits but like I have said I worked from the age of 14. Will also be returning to work when the baby is in nursery.

    As many people states, it's a case you got to manage.
    :A Tomorrow's just another day - keep smiling
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.