PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

reduce temp or timings?

Options
OK I need some advice on this.

Suddenly I need to reduce my outgoings and I am reviewing my household habits. Regarding my gas central heating am I better to

a. reduce my thermostat by a couple of degrees and use as normal or

b. keep thermostat at current temp and just try and use less?

Obviously, a combination of both would be the best solution - but any initial thoughts?

Any other old style savings in this area most welcome!
Thanks
r.mac
aless02 wrote: »
r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p

Comments

• vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    turn if off altogether and wear an extra jumper and a bobble hat ;)

this is money saving old style!! *grin*
    Blah
  • fazer6
    fazer6 Posts: 185 Forumite
    Options
    You could also get a spare duvet and keep it behind your sofa and snuggle in the evening.
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    I'd have thought by reducing temp by a couple of degrees - not that I'm planning on doing that this week!
  • robnye
    robnye Posts: 5,411 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    the environmental recommendation is to reduce the thermostat on your boiler by a couple of degrees as to whether you save any money before you freeze is up to debate, but it is supposed to save money?
    smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to.... ;) :cool:
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I tried turning the heating down by a degree as supposidly you don't notice.

I ended up feeling very cold and miserable, drank lots of coffee and felt hungry so was picking at biscuits and crisps.

I decided the money saved on lower heating was probably spent on keep boiling the kettle, coffee and snacks, so I turned it back up again :D
    Here I go again on my own....
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I've been told that keeping your heating on and turning down the thermostat (room stat) when you go out is cheaper than keep letting your heating go on and off. I do turn mine off at night but I know people who leave it on 24/7 and turn the stat down at night/when out. It takes more gas to heat the system up from cold than to keep it warm. I turn mine down to 12-15 if I'm going to be out for a while or just leave it on if I'm only out for an hour or two. The downside is that when you come in, it's cooler, but as the system is already hot, the rads heat up almost at once.

Also, as mentioned elsewhere, keep curtains closed when it goes dark and keep doors shut in any rooms you don't use regularly.
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have progressively turned my thermostat down over the last couple of winters, I now find it is fine for us set at about 16 degrees & only on when we are home/need it. However, we also have a log fire in the living room which we use instead of the CH in the evenings plus if we curl up on the sofa on a weekend afternoon or something we have blankets to hand to snuggle under & if really cold I find a hot water bottle warms me up & keeps me warm for much longer than the CH if I am stationary (on the sofa, at, the PC etc).

We also have a rule in our house that if we are really cold we put an extra jumper on & wait 20 minutes before turning the thermostat up to see if we really need it. But then, we live in a cold house that doesn't seem to retain the heat & we just view extra heating as money being thrown away because of this. Not many peole would live like us!

There has recently been a thread on the utilities board regarding whether it is cheaper to keep the heating on low all the time or switch it on as needed. I think the general opinion was as needed is more economical & also kinder to yoru boiler.

HTH
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    LOL @ vanoonoo - how very true!
    Becles wrote:
    I tried turning the heating down by a degree as supposidly you don't notice.

I ended up feeling very cold and miserable, drank lots of coffee and felt hungry so was picking at biscuits and crisps.

I decided the money saved on lower heating was probably spent on keep boiling the kettle, coffee and snacks, so I turned it back up again :D

Ok, before you give up altogether ... keep it down by that degree and try:

~ putting a nice long slo cook casserole in the oven (if I have my oven on, the rest of the house stays warmer, this is because it's one of the coldest rooms - north facing). Keep this cost effective by including some jacket potatoes and a rice pudding or a fruit cake.

~ if you must have a coffee, once you've boiled your kettle, put the rest of the kettle water into a thermos flask so it's available next time you want/need a cuppa ;) Alteratively, have some soup (homemade of course!), keep calories down by having a veg soup: ie. carrot, winter mixed veg etc.

~ a "throw" over the sofa is practicle for keeping your knee's/legs warm if you are sitting and inactive.

~ read Lillibets advice re: hot bots and jumpers

~ do some housework! Being active raises the body's temperature.

~ a good old fashioned draft excluder under doors (pair of old tights, stuffed with chopped up pieces of other old tights is a frugal way of making them)

~ wear a hat - it works!

~ conquer the misery with some visualisation - be it planning your summer holiday; daydreaming about warm Spring days; planning a pretty garden; running off with Brad Pitt, whatever.

~ socks; swear by them for keeping me tootsies warm at home in the winter.

~ take a bath. (Our heating broke down in thick snow one year just as I was coming down with 'flu! Yes, real 'flu, not "man snuffles" 'flu. The only way I could stand a hope of coping with the chill and shivers was to lay in the bath under cosy warm water).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    Forgot to add, if you do not have a hot bot and can't find any in the shops/afford the prices ....

... make your own heat pad.

You can make one very speedily and easily by filling a cotton (yes, it must be cotton) sock with some raw rice, add a drop or two of lavender oil for a relaxing fragrance and microwave for approx 45 secs - 1 min. Put an eggcup of water in the microwave at the same time to create a little steam. Ooooh, cosy and great too if you have period cramps :D
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas.

I have got an extra blanket on my bed, which has helped, and I have a fleece throw which I snuggle up with on the sofa when watching TV or a film.

Have turned the thermostat down a little and not really noticed.

Going to try and cut back on using the heating wherever possible. Didn't think of using my huggle or hot water bottle when sitting studying. good idea!

Also must try and convince myself that hoovering, dusting and general housework will warm me up!

lol@vanoonoo. Yes, will try and put on a jumper before snuggling in the blanket to add an extra layer. my old uni rugby top will be perfect for the job!

thanks for all the advice
    aless02 wrote: »
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport