Early Repayment penalty fees - Mortages - Legal??

Options
Firstly, I apologise if this is a topic previously discussed within the website.

That said, this is a topic that is currently high on my list of priorities.

The recession is affecting us all, and what better way to save money than to find a cheaper mortgage deal... however the issue i have is quite simply that in order to switch mortgage provider I am expected to pay an early repayment penalty of £3100.

I only have 12 months remaining on my 5 year fixed term ( I would see the mortgage through, however I need urgent reductions in my monthly ougoings). The mortgage stands at 105,000 so the penalty charge currently works out at 3%.

Ultimately, if I have to switch, it appears I have little choice in paying this, and forking out in the long run.

However, I've tried researching the legality of such fees, and what the likelihood of a succesul recovery of them would be at small claims court.

Does anyone have any views/experience of the above. I'm not holding my breath, but I genuinely feel quite aggrieved at having to line the pockets of the banks by paying what are frankly extortionate and dis-proportionate penalty fees.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 29 March 2011 at 10:32PM
    Options
    Please use the duplicate thread at: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3141482 to keep the conversation in one place.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure