We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Has anyone left a DMP with CCCS or payplan and resumed their regular payments?

Hi all,

I've just worked out that with OH payrise in the new year I'll most likely be able to resume my normal payments as he can take over some of the household expenses. Plus my DMP payment to my CC is now above the minimum so the interest is no longer frozen anyway. Has anyone got any experience of this? Did the companies whack on extra charges to compensate for the interest free period?

I imagine they'd only be too keen to get more money so I don't see it as a major problem but just wondered if there was anything I should be aware of?

Obviously I'll be discussing with CCCS but just thought I'd ask you lovely people first :D

Thanks in advance!
«1

Comments

  • System
    System Posts: 178,487
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Community Admin
    Wow, interesting question. My world without the DMP doesn't bear thinking about. I thought the DMP would be set in stone until you've cleared the debts - I couldn't imagine getting the interest restarted. I suppose this thread raises some interesing points such as; How honest should you be with Payplan for example? They have not asked me for proof of earnings and they have gone off what I have told them. Should you let them know if your income increases? If you do and the creditors start applying the interest again I would imagine that you would quite easily slip back especially if you are not able to dent the debt to the extent you were doing during the DMP. Any ideas anyone??
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Jolinar
    Jolinar Posts: 184
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks Lenny, yes it is interesting I increased my payments to my creditors and two started pestering me all over again. I have seriously thought over the last week that honesty does not pay! I checked my CC statement online and they've now stuck a mysterious additional charge on as well as the interest which this month means I've repaid a whopping £5 :rolleyes: I'm just trying to do the right thing and I've shot myself in the foot.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,487
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Community Admin
    I see. So the increase was negotiated through CCCS. What do the CCCS say?
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Jolinar
    Jolinar Posts: 184
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yeah I redid my budget through CCCS a couple of months ago. I called CCCS a couple of weeks ago when the problems started they just suggested I contact my creditors to request they stop the charges (done this twice and it's been ignored just get the bog standard form letters in reply.) Other than that they (CCCS) have not suggested anything or indeed done anything as far as I can see. My CC company haven't even told me I'm now making the required payments I had to figure this out myself. I will be calling CCCS again on Monday.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,487
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Community Admin
    Let us know what they say. I know they dont negotiate for charges, bit I thought that CCCS will still push to freeze the interest under the increased payment arrangements. Maybe they are and have had no success or the creditors are looking for more money off you until the interest is frozen again - one last pound of flesh!?!?
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • james32_uk
    james32_uk Posts: 1,223 Forumite
    Woa! Why start making repayments? Surely the best thing to do is continue making the DMP payments and keep interest and charges stopped. While you're doing this you can stockpile lots of lovely cash ready to make full and final offers when the time is right.
    Debt as at 12th July 2006 - £61,345 :eek: :eek: :eek:
    Debt free 21st Oct 2011.

    All thanks to :money:
  • Jolinar
    Jolinar Posts: 184
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    james23_uk wrote:
    Woa! Why start making repayments? Surely the best thing to do is continue making the DMP payments and keep interest and charges stopped. While you're doing this you can stockpile lots of lovely cash ready to make full and final offers when the time is right.

    They are already charging interest on the CC as I'm exceeding the minimum payment now as my payments increased due to a pay rise. At least if I have control of the payments I can avoid late charges. At the moment my payment date is 22 of every month for the CC, CCCS pay on the 25th so each month they charge me £12 in late fees as well as the interest.

    Forgot to add that I am on a DMP and getting interest charged, creditors aren't obliged to freeze interest indefinitely unfortunately.
  • I've got to agree keep the payments low and save up a settlement figure.
    Barclaycard 3800

    Nothing to do but hibernate till spring






  • poppy52
    poppy52 Posts: 186
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Ask if they can change the payment date - same thing happened with me with Lloyds and the last time they rang to moan about something I asked if it could be changed - they agreed, no problem.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,487
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Community Admin
    So you've obviously declared your higher income to CCCS? Were you obliged to?
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.