We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Can I move house with £3.5k debt?

I earn £1,100 after deductions (a month) - do you think it will go against me to have £3.5k debt? I will obviously have cleared more of it by the time we apply for our new mortgage (own current home, want to move to second house next year), but want to have an idea of where we stand.

Thanks as always.

Comments

  • jessicamb
    jessicamb Posts: 10,446 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I earn £1,100 after deductions (a month) - do you think it will go against me to have £3.5k debt? I will obviously have cleared more of it by the time we apply for our new mortgage (own current home, want to move to second house next year), but want to have an idea of where we stand.

    Thanks as always.

    They will take it into consideration but I dont think they would reject you on that basis - I had a loan amount similar to yours and it was all ok.
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese :cool:
  • I earn a similar amount and when I got my mortgage I had more more debt than that and had no problems.
    Debt free date - June 2008 :T :T :T
  • System
    System Posts: 178,486 Community Admin
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Yep y not. But is this a good time to buy? What goes up.....
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Phoenix79_2
    Phoenix79_2 Posts: 1,434 Forumite
    lennymfo wrote:
    Yep y not. But is this a good time to buy? What goes up.....

    Its never a good time to buy as a FTB! I'm still reaching for that first rung on the property ladder! :)
  • Thanks all. We are really keen to up sticks and move closer to civilisation as soon as possible and I've been concerned that my debt will hold us back. Thanks for your reassurances, feel less worried now, but still determined to clear the debt!
  • Can honestly say I haven't got much clue about mortgages but the only thing I can see is that it will affect how much they will lend you! When I 'looked' into mortgages I think they said something along the lines of if you borrow 3 times your salary or whatever they deduct 3 times your debt etc! :confused:

    Like I say I ain't got a clue! :rotfl:
  • moozie_2
    moozie_2 Posts: 3,063 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Hi there

    I am a FTB so not quite the same but this may be relevant to you. When we sat with the mortgage advisor, we gave her all our financial info and for me, she multiplied my monthly debt repayments by 12 and then deducted that figure from my annual salary.

    So obviously that affects the amount one can borrow. In our case it didn't affect us as we borrowed a lot less than our maximum amount allowed, with or without this adjustment.

    Best of luck, I am sure you'll be fine :)
    Leason learnt :beer:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,486 Community Admin
    10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Phoenix79 wrote:
    Its never a good time to buy as a FTB! I'm still reaching for that first rung on the property ladder! :)
    As am I......!
    This is a system account and does not represent a real person. To contact the Forum Team email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.