We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Transferring exisiting CC debt and overdraft to new CC?

Would it be a big mistake to do this? My 0% is due to expire soon on my current credit card (HSBC) and I thought I could move both my overdraft debt and my Credit Card balance to a new card.

I would much rather have it in one place (the debt) and put my current account back in the black so I know where I am..

I've not been awake long, so apologies if this is a daft question!

Comments

  • I did it earlier this year. They are called Super Balance Transfers (SBT's) in Martins articles. There aren't many cards that allow it but I know Virgin & MBNA cards do as well as a couple of others.

    Don't be tempted to try & pay off your overdraft with a credit card cheque as this will cost a lot more in the long run.
  • I did it earlier this year. They are called Super Balance Transfers (SBT's) in Martins articles. There aren't many cards that allow it but I know Virgin & MBNA cards do as well as a couple of others.

    Don't be tempted to try & pay off your overdraft with a credit card cheque as this will cost a lot more in the long run.


    Thanks - I think I'll look at Virgin.

  • Thanks - I think I'll look at Virgin.

    The Virgin card is issued by MBNA so they're actually the same if you're using them for balance transfers. (there are some rewards for using the Virgin card for purchases but thats not advisable as it messes up the 0% deal.

    It doesn't make much difference when applying but its useful to know if you're still going to have an outstanding balance at the end of the 0% period that you probably won't be able to get the other card orif they goveyou theother card it willhave a very low limit on it & they might not give you a 0% deal
  • [QUOTE=SunderlandBlackCat]The Virgin card is issued by MBNA so they're actually the same if you're using them for balance transfers. (there are some rewards for using the Virgin card for purchases but thats not advisable as it messes up the 0% deal.

    It doesn't make much difference when applying but its useful to know if you're still going to have an outstanding balance at the end of the 0% period that you probably won't be able to get the other card orif they goveyou theother card it willhave a very low limit on it & they might not give you a 0% deal[/QUOTE]


    Thanks. Would you recommend looking at MBNA then? My friend just told me they recently applied for a Virgin card said that when they went through the application process online, when it came to the balance transfer bit, it only gave options to transfer a credit card balance, not a current account (overdraft) balance. Is it possible to do this on a MBNA card?
  • Phoenix79_2
    Phoenix79_2 Posts: 1,434 Forumite
    Yes it is possible. Its one of the options on the automated CS telephone line. It may not give you the opportunity to BT to a current account on the application but once you get the card you can.

    As for MBNA...a lot of people seem to think they are the devil incarnate. I've had no problem with them and i guess you won't as long as you pay on time! :)
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.