Solar power in an allotment shed?

Options
I'm wondering if anyone has done this?

We've just got an allotment, and my DH is making worrying mumbles about wanting to install solar power on it - so we could boil a kettle, occasionally run electric tools etc. Whilst I appreciate the concept, and I can see it would be useful, I'm a bit concerned that my DH has a bit of a tendency to start on slightly madcap projects which either never get finished, or end up costing us far, far more than we would have spent had we realised what the total cost would be at the outset. I have a sneaky suspicion that this will fall into the latter category!

DH has all the technical knowledge, and I have none, but I'm the better planner! I'd really like to know what components we are going to need and roughly how much they cost so that we can make an informed decision about whether this is worth doing. I'm struggling to pin DH down about what would actually be needed, probably because he will slightly make it up as he goes along! He has been muttering about inverters and stepping up the power (whatever that means, I'm clueless!)

My gut instinct is that for the very little use it would get, we'd be better off buying a £100 generator on ebay for using tools, and a camping stove to boil a kettle... Not green, but it will be used so little and I think will work out much cheaper!

So can anyone help me with what things would be needed to build a very straightforward solar power system that could run power tools for short periods of time and boil kettles?

Comments

• mysterons
    mysterons Posts: 134 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Buy a generator, take it home with you when you leave. Solar panels would be nicked within a week at an unattended allotment guaranteed.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    A £15,000 solar array would provide enough power to boil a kettle on a hot sunny June day.
  • JodyBPM
    JodyBPM Posts: 1,404 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OK, point taken! (and frankly as I suspected!)

Now how do I explain to my DH that this is a non starter, whilst not making him feel like I don't believe in his ability to build a solar powered system?
  • grahamc2003
    grahamc2003 Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Options
    JodyBPM wrote: »

Now how do I explain to my DH that this is a non starter, whilst not making him feel like I don't believe in his ability to build a solar powered system?

You could tell him he'd need a bigger shed to take the required area of panels. Probably a (reinforced and strengthened) shed the size of the allotment would do it.
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You could tell him he'd need a bigger shed to take the required area of panels. Probably a (reinforced and strengthened) shed the size of the allotment would do it.

Plus a huge bank of batteries to store the power till needed. Then an inverter to make it 240v.

What's wrong with a flask? rechargeable tools & charge at home?
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Hi

I'd just explain that in order to have enough power to run a small camping/car 12V kettle you'd likely need to spend upwards of £500 on solar panels, a charge controller and a battery, which as stated earlier in the thread are likely to go 'walkies' very quickly.

Alternatively, buy a deep cycle leisure battery & a carry bag (also possibly a 12V/230V inverter if necessary), charge it at home (solar/FiTs?) and take it to the allotment when you go. The other alternative, of course, is a flask for the hot water and rechargeable tools as christmas/birthday presents for the next couple of years ;)

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,317 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options

Print this thread out and show him? :D
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Camping Gaz anyone?
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    What could you possibly need a power toold for at an allotment? A saw, a screwdriver, a hammer and a spade sort of covers all the possibilities for me. Ask your Husband why a flask isn't good enough?
    Pants
  • grahamc2003
    grahamc2003 Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    Options
    warehouse wrote: »
    A saw, a screwdriver, a hammer and a spade sort of covers all the possibilities for me. ?

Sounds like you've got some pretty poor soil on your allotment!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure