Can I reclaim tax on my 11 yr old sons adult size 8 shoes?

Options
yesterday I took my son trainer shopping, he is now a size 8 (adult) I noticed the size 6 which are considered a child size were £25 but his size 8's were £40 a big difference as a single parent now childrens shoes and clothing are VAT exempt so can I make a claim back for the tax on said trainers????????

Comments

• Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 March 2011 at 10:23AM
    Options
    No.

VAT is charged based on the goods or services you purchase.

VAT, where charged on clothing, is the standard rate of 20%.
    If the price excluding VAT was £25. then the price with VAT would be £30.
    You say they were £40.

Sounds to me like you were paying more, in part, for a bigger sized product.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • W1zz
    W1zz Posts: 620 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Says
    products are designed exclusively for the under 14s and that they are held out for sale to this age group

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageVAT_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000138&propertyType=document#P19_915
  • sock-knitter
    sock-knitter Posts: 1,630 Forumite
    Options
    ellsbells7 wrote: »
    yesterday I took my son trainer shopping, he is now a size 8 (adult) I noticed the size 6 which are considered a child size were £25 but his size 8's were £40 a big difference as a single parent now childrens shoes and clothing are VAT exempt so can I make a claim back for the tax on said trainers????????
    i've been paying adult prices for footwear since my children were 6 years old, and an adult size 6. believe me it gets even more expensive if they get bigger than most izes that shops sell.
    one son has size 16 feet :eek: and his shoes cost £70 for a plain black pair, with no brand name
    loves to knit and crochet for others
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport