We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Skirt Beef

i'm determined not to go to the supermarket before payday and want to use up whatever I have in the house.

I have a load of skirt beef in the freezer. Normally I put it in wine to marinade for 12 hours to tenderise it, but I have no wine in the house.

How about a can of Mild??? Would that produce the same chemical reaction? I plan to slow cook it all day let it cool and then use it in a pasta dish the following day, probably a lasagne or something similar.

Comments

  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,275
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I don't think that beer would be acid enough - I think that you would be better off with a sort of salad dressing mix of vinegar and oil. You could make up a small amount and keep turning the meat and rubbing the marinade in.
    More ideas on this site:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mostof_marinades.shtml
  • hhhmm....had a dig around and found 3/4 bottle of cider vinegar. However, it is very very old, at least 3 years old.

    The BBC website wine herb and oil recipe uses wine vinegar. Could I substitute the cider winegar? Is it still useable? There is no best before date on it.
  • I have used cider vinegar where a recipe states wine vinegar and vice versa and its always turned out fine.

    My mother always used to use skirt if she made a stew or a casserole. She certainly didn't marinade it (wouldn't have known what that was) just long slow cooking and it was nice and tender.
  • I did wonder if just cooking it all day in the slow cooker would tenderise it just as much.

    I got loads reduced from Tesco and it has always been really good inthe past.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.