We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Credit Report

I have read many articles of not naming husband/wife as an associate when applying for a credit report. Unfortunately I did and as my husband had some defaults even though they are paid this effects my credit report. What should I do regarding this or do I just have to wait for 6 years any information/advice would be greatly appreciate

Comments

  • justruth
    justruth Posts: 770 Forumite
    Hi, have you got any financial associations with him, eg shared bank accounts, loans, mortgage etc? If not then you can ask the credit reference agency to remove him as an associate. Not quite the same but I had a couple of ex's removed (no idea how one got on there) after we had been checked together for moving house. This also applies if you had a shared account and are now no longer financially associated.

    If you do share an account with him, then you can ask for a note to be put on the file that your finances are in the main dealt with individually, he should have no effect on your score but lenders may look at his file when assessing you. So long as any accounts you both share are kept in good order it shouldn't be a problem.
    Debt £5600 all 0%
  • Thanks for the reply I will put a note of my credit file. The only account we have jointly is the mortgage, bank accounts are separate as so are the bills. When applying for a credit report I automatically put his name on didn't realise the consequences. Many of his defaults are paid but there are a few left. I did apply for a visa card with Alliance & Leicester who I have been with for over 10 years and was refused. I think the only way now that our credit reports would be separate is if we divorced which is a bit desperate. Do you know of any other way to take his name from my report as an associate or will this be the case forever now. Thanks again I will do the note
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.