We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

I learnt something today

...that a first class stamp is 32p. Not exactly top secret information but I've always just bought books of 12 here and there and never bothered to do the maths or think about it, but now that each thing has to be bought individually and with cash I'm learning the cost/value/price of things very fast. We were going to buy a bag of coal when we bought £10 (okay, £10.01 :mad: ) of diesel on Tuesday, but it was over £3!! As we only have a smallish amount of cash til this coming Monday we decided against. £3 had never seemed so much money before. Spending £10 on something now feels like a huge decision to be considered carefully - boy how things have changed. I think it's good though, feels good to be viewing things in there terms. Probably the Scottish blood in me!
If you can't be a good example, be a dire warning :D

MBNA charges and interest frozen
Egg/DLC repayment agreement reached

Feels like progress!

Comments

  • I know what you mean! Having a set amount to spend each week really makes you appreciate the value of things.

    Now, all I have to do is stop making up mythical 'other budgets' for everything I want to buy so I can keep my £10 intact and use the switch card. :rotfl:

    Blue :D
    Official DFW Nerd Club member 216 - Proud to be dealing with my debts :D
    Amazon Sellers' Club member 64

    GM Challenge make £50 = £12
    2007 Olympic Challenge - Silver = £726.83
    2007 Olympic weight loss challenge - 25 lbs = 3 lbs
  • I'd say it's the DFW blood pumping about :rotfl:
    L
    x
    Debt 28/12/06 £26,467
    £20 grocery challenge per week
    Savings £400
    £2 coins - £8.00
    DMP £357 pcm (CCCs) commenced 1/10/06
    DFD :think:
    proud to be dealing with my debts
  • Definately agree with this. Since I stopped shopping with credit/debit cards i now can tell you the price of each item in my shopping basket, and also which of my local supermarkets has the best price. Before I never looked at the price of things as paying with cards you never feel like there is a budget to meet. Funny thing is you don't even miss the junk items that used to end up in the trolley so they weren't essential. Using cash makes you think about what you are spending much more.
    sophiesmum
    Reduce,re-use, recycle.






  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 101,331 Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Academoney Grad Mortgage-free Glee!
    Definatly the Scot in you!!
    (though I go through phases, I find it hard to be good all the time:confused: )
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** in ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger.
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.[/b] [11 months left.[/b]
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.