Claim for Injury to Son

Options
Hi all just looking for some general advice on how to deal with this.
I have to keep it brief for obvious reasons
Short scenario -
Used trolley designed for children, child fell on to trolley and pierced skin 3 mm from eye lots of blood, tears and bruising at the time but hospital unable to glue or stitch due to location of cut. Now has permanent scarring but luckily no known eye injury (not that we can really test it). Trolley was defective and had metal spike.
Also shop where incident took place had a disorganised first aider and incomplete first aid box.
Have photos of injury and trolley. Trolley still in use and not been properly "fixed"
Don't know where to go from here.

Thanks in advance

Chick x

Comments

• WeBeBroke
    WeBeBroke Posts: 126 Forumite
    edited 28 March 2011 at 1:19PM
    Options
    TheChicken wrote: »
    Hi all just looking for some general advice on how to deal with this.
    I have to keep it brief for obvious reasons
    Short scenario -
    Used trolley designed for children, child fell on to trolley and pierced skin 3 mm from eye lots of blood, tears and bruising at the time but hospital unable to glue or stitch due to location of cut. Now has permanent scarring but luckily no known eye injury (not that we can really test it). Trolley was defective and had metal spike.
    Also shop where incident took place had a disorganised first aider and incomplete first aid box.
    Have photos of injury and trolley. Trolley still in use and not been properly "fixed"
    Don't know where to go from here.

Thanks in advance

Chick x

what exactly do you want to claim for? I agree the trolley should be taken out of action for the sake of others but unless you are out of pocket in any way I don't see why you think you can claim for injury? as you say yourself his eye is fine and his scar will heal in time.

Yes the shop should look into how the accident was handled and maybe threatening court action might wake them up and imrove their H&S. But thanks to the fact you have a wonderful and free health system you didn't pay to get him fixed up so I don't think you deserve cash other than that needed to treat your son. (I moved here 8 years ago from Ireland where you pay 60Euro to just see the doctor so you can understand why I'm so appreciative at what you seem to take for granted in this country).

Sorry to be harsh but I just can't stand the compensation culture that has crept over from the US where everyone seems to think they deserve payment for any accident.

Accidents happen - especially where children are involved. Was your boy climbing on the trolley or doing something he wasn't supposed to? I have two boys who are a bit lively and are always having accidents. Mostly their own fault and to be honest I see it as a learning experience they hopefully won't repeat!

Personally I think compensation should be payable in medical vouchers - to be used for psychiatrists if the injury was stress- related and medical treatment if physical. Cash should only be paid where loss of earnings are involved.

Again apologies for the rant but it's a pet hate of mine.
    O/S Weight Loss 1.75/8
  • TheChicken
    TheChicken Posts: 124 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Accidents do happen I agree, but the fact that a child is injured on a child's trolley is neglect on the part of the shop owner.
    No customer expects to have to do a health and safety assessment on a piece of equipment on a shop.
    If my son had just banged his head then that would have just been an "accident" but neglect that could cause serious injury is not just an "accident".
    (No he wasn't climbing he was putting a packet of biscuits in the trolley)
    The fact that he hasnt blinded himself is fortunate for him but why should he have been put at risk in the first place?
  • c-m
    c-m Posts: 770 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There is certainly a claim even if just for the sheer distress never-mind the permanent scarring. Why don't you write to the shop owner first though, you might be able to sort it out amicably
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure