We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
How do you budget for Christmas?
flowerofscotland
Posts: 2,447 Forumite
It's been a long time since I budgeted for Christmas and I know from the analysis of my spending that I did when I had my LBM that overspending at Christmas is one of the causes of my debts.
So this year I am determined not to add anything to my debts from Christmas spending and then work out a budget for 2007 and save monthly to cover it. I've started a spreadsheet and been playing around with headings - this is what I have so far:
Presents
Food
Drink
Night out
Secret Santa
Tips
Extra petrol
Cards
Postage
Wrapping
Decorations
Hair
Clothes
New Year's Eve
Can anyone think of anything else I should include? Some of the headings are also in my usual budget so for example I will only include the extra food I will have to buy for Christmas lunch etc.
To make it more interesting and in the spirit of DFW I have included a column for 2005 and plan to estimate what I spent last year and then see how much I have saved. I am aiming for 50% less than last year. I haven't put in figures because I don't think it would be useful - we all have different budgets and I'm not looking for comments on how much I spend on each person etc - just on the overall headings and target reduction.
So this year I am determined not to add anything to my debts from Christmas spending and then work out a budget for 2007 and save monthly to cover it. I've started a spreadsheet and been playing around with headings - this is what I have so far:
Presents
Food
Drink
Night out
Secret Santa
Tips
Extra petrol
Cards
Postage
Wrapping
Decorations
Hair
Clothes
New Year's Eve
Can anyone think of anything else I should include? Some of the headings are also in my usual budget so for example I will only include the extra food I will have to buy for Christmas lunch etc.
To make it more interesting and in the spirit of DFW I have included a column for 2005 and plan to estimate what I spent last year and then see how much I have saved. I am aiming for 50% less than last year. I haven't put in figures because I don't think it would be useful - we all have different budgets and I'm not looking for comments on how much I spend on each person etc - just on the overall headings and target reduction.
0
Comments
-
If you have anything left from 2006, don't forget to get what you can in the sales. Like cards, wrapping (decorations don't wear out -keep them)clothes dig out an outfit and dress it up a bit, get a mate to do your hair.
Do you have to do secret santa?
I am not buying any new decorations, sending only charity cards.
Sorry it sounds harsh but since my LBM I've become a real pain.0 -
We have wrapping paper left over from last year, budget so much per person for a gift and card, and stick to it.Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
Que sera, sera.
0 -
Whatever you decide to save each month its worth opening a separate bank/building society account and set up a standing order so the money goes straight into it. This is what I do and TBH there have been occasions I would have spent the money rather than save it, but for that standing order. [mine goes into a building society savings account which means its a bit harder to access than a bank account with all those tempting ATM machines]
0 -
Blimey, that is very thorough, well done!!Ciggie free 2am 21/09/06. Debt free 25/06/09.'It was such a lovely day I thought 'it's a pity to get up'' W. Somerset Maugham.0
-
itsnotfair wrote:If you have anything left from 2006, don't forget to get what you can in the sales. Like cards, wrapping (decorations don't wear out -keep them)clothes dig out an outfit and dress it up a bit, get a mate to do your hair.
Do you have to do secret santa?
I am not buying any new decorations, sending only charity cards.
Sorry it sounds harsh but since my LBM I've become a real pain.
Thanks for the comments. I have checked what I have left from 2005 and only needed to buy a few cards and I found some at a real bargain price being sold in aid of one of the local churches. They have been hand made by volunteers so I am saving money and helping a good cause - how cool is that?
What I am trying to do is include everything that needs expenditure at Christmas even though this year the cost will be very low (or possibly even nil) - then when I estimate last year's I can see if I have made a saving plus I can do a realistic budget for next year. Hope this makes sense.
With you all the way on not buying new decorations - just hope the lights still work.
Re Secret Santa - yes I want to do it. I actually like most of my colleagues and £10 is not much to cover the whole office. Anyway it is one of Martin's Christmas money saving suggestions
And it won't actually cost me anything this year as I am "buying" my present with piggy point vouchers :j 0 -
immoral_angeluk wrote:We have wrapping paper left over from last year, budget so much per person for a gift and card, and stick to it.
Thanks for the support.
I have always set a budget for each person (because we have a very large family). But this year I have tried to buy smarter - thanks to this site. For example I bought 9 presents from M&S online on their 3 for 2 offers. The old me would have worked on the after discount price - this year I have taken the discount for myself
Oh and I went via the Pigsback link so will get piggy points and paid with my M&S credit card (paid off in full each month) so will get vouchers as well (which I plan to use in the January sales to get some bargains for next Christmas).0 -
I have a savings fund for Christmas which I do via work (the money comes out of my salary each month and then is paid out in Nov with interest). I then set a budget for each persons presents remembering to put something aside for wrapping, cards and decs. I hadn't thought of planning for all the social side of Christmas from this budget too. But if I add a few £ more each month in this coming year, I will be able to do this next year too.
I will also do my Christmas spending on my M&S card and then pay it off to get all those lovely points.Current Joint Debts: CC 0% [STRIKE]New Transfer 25.10.06 £6732 15.11.06 £6492.00 03.02.07 £5259.20[/STRIKE] 23.04.07 £3985, Loan 7.5% [STRIKE]01.05.06 £20135.10 15.11.06 £18416.25 03.02.07 £17529.55 [/STRIKE] 23.04.07 17188.50 inc. interest
Plan: Clear CCs by Sept 07, DFD: 30.09.08, Then onto mortgageOfficial DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 198, Proud to be dealing with my debts0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards