Diverticula ??

Options
Hi,

Has anyone had any experience of this? Someone close to me has been diagnosed with it. But i have never heard of it, before. Had a look on google, and was wondering of anyone had any real experience. They are only in their 40's, and it was diagnosed through some bleeding from back paasage

"Diverticula of the colon are common in older people. They commonly cause no symptoms, and in many cases no treatment is needed. They cause pain and other symptoms in some cases. Complications such as infection of the diverticulum (diverticulitis) develop in some cases."

Comments

• CrazyChemist_2
    Options
    Colon diverticulitis is the inflammation in the pouches (diverticula) branching from the intestine. Colon diverticular disease is an increasingly frequent disorder especially in western populations characterised by high living standards. Its incidence increases with age and 10–20% of the patients develop inflammation or haemorrhage (hence the bleeding).

That's the information I can give you without breaking MSE rules about advice - the above is from the Journal of Vibrational Spectrometry. It is a very recent article published October 2006.

Best of luck and hope your friend/relative gets well soon :)
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    Colon diverticular disease is an increasingly frequent disorder especially in western populations characterised by high living standards. Its incidence increases with age and 10–20% of the patients develop inflammation or haemorrhage (hence the bleeding).
    I have highlighted the High Living Standards because this is synonymous with refined foods and higher sugar intake. Diverticulosis and Diverticulitis has useful patient information about causes and lack of adequate fiber intake. Treatment for diverticulitis focuses on clearing up the infection and inflammation so ensuring you are eating a high fibre diet with natural anti-inflammatory agents may be sensible. One particularly interesting area of recent research examines the overlap of diverticulitis and inflammatory bowel disease, including the use of probiotics in diverticular disease. So it may also be worth checking out the Moneysaving old style yoghurt and kefir making threads.

Regular readers here will know I've been keeping a watch on the impact of Vitamin d3 on the body and although this is made in the skin and is involved in the metabolism of calcium so is often thought of in relation to bone health it is interesting to see the frequency of low vitamin d status in people with intestinal disorders. This research supports the idea that vitamin D is a significant factor in detoxification and protection against environmental toxins in intestine.

One very moneysaving way to increase your intake of fibre and anti -inflammatory omega 3 is to eat linseed meal. I buy a 5kg bag of whole linseed from shops that stock SUMA products. It costs about £5.50ish. As the seeds pass straight through the system (or could possibly lodge in a diverticular pouch?) it best to grind them in a Amazon.co.uk: Braun KSM2 Coffee Grinder: Kitchen & Home
    The whole seeds will last at least 2 yrs while whole but once ground they start to go off so I just grind a potful to keep in the fridge and put on my cereal and stir into stews casseroles or add to baking or for seasoning veg. It can substitute for eggs or fat so is very versatile. It's very high in both soluble and insoluble fibre (do drink plenty of water) and ALA which the body can metabolise to EPA and DHA the omega 3's it needs.

Links from The Vitamin D council lead to the best/cheapest source of Cholecalciferol vitamin d3 at this time of year while in the UK it's impossible to get sufficient from dietary sources or from direct exposure to sunshine.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • Nytehawk
    Nytehawk Posts: 6,118 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Smiley wrote:
    Hi,

Has anyone had any experience of this? Someone close to me has been diagnosed with it. But i have never heard of it, before. Had a look on google, and was wondering of anyone had any real experience. They are only in their 40's, and it was diagnosed through some bleeding from back paasage

"Diverticula of the colon are common in older people. They commonly cause no symptoms, and in many cases no treatment is needed. They cause pain and other symptoms in some cases. Complications such as infection of the diverticulum (diverticulitis) develop in some cases."

I suffer with diverticulitis and although I don't want to air it in public I would be happy to explain anything you want to know if you pm me (I was 38 when I was diagnosed)
    "Did you hear about the frog that broke down on the motorway???? They toad him away!"
  • dharm999
    dharm999 Posts: 559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have highlighted the High Living Standards because this is synonymous with refined foods and higher sugar intake. Diverticulosis and Diverticulitis has useful patient information about causes and lack of adequate fiber intake. Treatment for diverticulitis focuses on clearing up the infection and inflammation so ensuring you are eating a high fibre diet with natural anti-inflammatory agents may be sensible. One particularly interesting area of recent research examines the overlap of diverticulitis and inflammatory bowel disease, including the use of probiotics in diverticular disease. So it may also be worth checking out the Moneysaving old style yoghurt and kefir making threads.

Regular readers here will know I've been keeping a watch on the impact of Vitamin d3 on the body and although this is made in the skin and is involved in the metabolism of calcium so is often thought of in relation to bone health it is interesting to see the frequency of low vitamin d status in people with intestinal disorders. This research supports the idea that vitamin D is a significant factor in detoxification and protection against environmental toxins in intestine.

One very moneysaving way to increase your intake of fibre and anti -inflammatory omega 3 is to eat linseed meal. I buy a 5kg bag of whole linseed from shops that stock SUMA products. It costs about £5.50ish. As the seeds pass straight through the system (or could possibly lodge in a diverticular pouch?) it best to grind them in a Amazon.co.uk: Braun KSM2 Coffee Grinder: Kitchen & Home
    The whole seeds will last at least 2 yrs while whole but once ground they start to go off so I just grind a potful to keep in the fridge and put on my cereal and stir into stews casseroles or add to baking or for seasoning veg. It can substitute for eggs or fat so is very versatile. It's very high in both soluble and insoluble fibre (do drink plenty of water) and ALA which the body can metabolise to EPA and DHA the omega 3's it needs.

Links from The Vitamin D council lead to the best/cheapest source of Cholecalciferol vitamin d3 at this time of year while in the UK it's impossible to get sufficient from dietary sources or from direct exposure to sunshine.

Ted

Do you know if there is also a similar link to colitis and lack of vitamin D? My wife has been diagnosed with colitis, not too serious at the moment, but we are looking at what we can to do to help with the symptoms.

Thanks
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Options
    dharm999 wrote:
    Do you know if there is also a similar link to colitis and lack of vitamin D? My wife has been diagnosed with colitis, not too serious at the moment, but we are looking at what we can to do to help with the symptoms.
    Studies in animal models of colitis and in vitro human studies support a role of vitamin D in the regulation of the immune system of the gut and the potential of vitamin D and its derivatives as therapeutic adjuncts in the treatment of IBD The abstract goes on to say tasks may prove particularly difficult because of malabsorption and gastrointestinal losses that are associated with IBD. So although using a strength vitamin d3 cholecalciferol supplement may help it could be money down the loo if the intestine was particularly inflamed. This may be a case for using suntan lamps. NEW suntan tubes (less than 500hrs use) will produce UVB so a NEW home solaria used on a different part of the body each day for a few minutes may get round the poor absorbtion through the intestine problem. You should though keep a diary/log of the hrs the tubes are used and replace before they start to deteriorate.

I've just checked on the Facial Solaria specifications and I cannot find any details on the UVB ratio these tubes provide. I've emailed Phillips and will post back if these tubes do produce a reasonable amount of UVB. Philips do a Cleo Natural tube that provides the same ratio UVB<>UVA as sunlight but doesn't do these in the compact size.
    My weight loss following Doktor Dahlqvist' Dietary Program
    Start 23rd Jan 2008 14st 9lbs Current 10st 12lbs
  • Livs_Mummy_2
    Options
    Hi my dad has diverticualr , he says its much like IBS but it caused scar tissue to build up in the bowl........ my dad had a part removed a few months ago but it doesnt crop up so bad now, took along time to diagnose this they were thinking it was his gall bladder at first . hope your friend doesnt come across such a bad case od it though.
  • dharm999
    dharm999 Posts: 559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Studies in animal models of colitis and in vitro human studies support a role of vitamin D in the regulation of the immune system of the gut and the potential of vitamin D and its derivatives as therapeutic adjuncts in the treatment of IBD The abstract goes on to say tasks may prove particularly difficult because of malabsorption and gastrointestinal losses that are associated with IBD. So although using a strength vitamin d3 cholecalciferol supplement may help it could be money down the loo if the intestine was particularly inflamed. This may be a case for using suntan lamps. NEW suntan tubes (less than 500hrs use) will produce UVB so a NEW home solaria used on a different part of the body each day for a few minutes may get round the poor absorbtion through the intestine problem. You should though keep a diary/log of the hrs the tubes are used and replace before they start to deteriorate.

I've just checked on the Facial Solaria specifications and I cannot find any details on the UVB ratio these tubes provide. I've emailed Phillips and will post back if these tubes do produce a reasonable amount of UVB. Philips do a Cleo Natural tube that provides the same ratio UVB<>UVA as sunlight but doesn't do these in the compact size.

Ted

Thank you for that. my wife has inflammation part way up the sigmoid colon, and the doctor does not think it is too seious yet. We do by chance happen to have some vitamin d, 400iu, which i think we will try and see how it goes.

Thanks

Dharmesh
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family