Full live budget coverage after it happened Blog Discussion

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.

Comments

• adamg
    adamg Posts: 485 Forumite
    not sure if affects me in any way. I dont smoke ,hardly drink, unmarried, no children, use tank of petrol a month, earn 25k a year.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • aplegjnf
    aplegjnf Posts: 32 Forumite
    Glad of increased personal allowance for 19yo daughter who works for minimum wage - a mere 4.92 ph! - doing the same work as older people earning their minimum wage; who is not old enough to claim tax credits so has to live away from home ( job too far to commute) supporting herself on less than 10k per year.
    I had expected some announcement about replacing EMA with learner assistance funding - do any of the MSE team know anything about that?
    Government has a tricky job trying to balance the mess that is the economy. Agree with a facebook poster who said Martin should be chancellor ;-P
    Thanks for the rundown MSE team
  • I am a young pensioner but will be hit twice this year financially - first by underpaying tax in a previous year which I now have to pay back; I sought help from TOPS (brilliant service by the way). Secondly my heating allowance will be reduced.

I would have thought that the heating allowance could be means tested as are other benefits. This could be done through a link with the Inland Revenue, after all they know each individuals income and therefore they could extract from their database people 60 and over with an income (for example) of less than £15,000. This list could then be passed to the D.W.P. for payment.

This sounds simple but I am sure it would save the government money in the long term and still leave pensioners on a low income with enough money to heat their houses in the winter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure