Bad reference - job offer withdrawn

Options
2»

Comments

• Zoe_Price
    Zoe_Price Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    I know the previous time they wrote the reference my line manager completed it, this time it has been done by the HR department (i use that term loosely, they employ a freelance HR consultant who started in her role a couple of months before i left & so has no knowledge of my working practise)
    I have a similar problem. I recently finished working at a college but was contracted by an agency to work there. When I asked my department boss if I could use her as a reference she told me she could only be a character reference and I'd have to seek a employment reference from my agency. I've never met anyone from my agency and they've never seen me work, so what good is a reference from them??
  • dseventy
    dseventy Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    Options
    Zoe_Price wrote: »
    I have a similar problem. I recently finished working at a college but was contracted by an agency to work there. When I asked my department boss if I could use her as a reference she told me she could only be a character reference and I'd have to seek a employment reference from my agency. I've never met anyone from my agency and they've never seen me work, so what good is a reference from them??

The agency is your employer, not the college, hence you need to ask them.

They might approach the college on your behalf or just confirm dates, attendance record etc.

D70
    How about no longer being masochistic?
    How about remembering your divinity?
    How about unabashedly bawling your eyes out?
    How about not equating death with stopping?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure