Advice needed for ex student

Options
Hi everyone, I am looking for advice for my son who has given up his UNI course in Nursing having decided it is not for him. As yet he has no job and is coming home next week so at least he has food!

Until he gets a job what is best place to start with debts?
Student overdraft No. 1 - £1000
Student overdraft No. 2 - £500 (bank already asking why no credits and may call in overdraft)
3 Phone Co. £78 owed for phone-phone now blocked.

He also has to pay rent in Bristol til June - £360pm. His dad has stepped in (we are divorced) & paid 2 months already owed - so only 3 to go unless he can sublet. I rang landlord & they wont let us off payments but said would probably accept £200 per month til fully paid.

I have big debts myself so apart from offering free board & lodgings dont have cash to offer him.

Where does he start? I dont think he has talked to banks yet - what should he tell them. I fear he hopes keeping quiet makes it go away.:rotfl:

Thanks for any kind advice.:)
Debt Free. Have my Van. :) Find dream
Frugal 2016 Target @£400 per month
Month 1 £400/£400 Total of 6 Months: £/£2400
Food £0/£120 pm Diesel £0/£100 Me/DD £0/£80 Yearly (clothes/holidays/presents) £0/£100

It's not the end, it's the journey and how we travelled.

Comments

• boredofbeingathome
    Options
    Hi campervan mum, i would post this on the main DFW board as the diaries are a sub thread of that board.

Although personally what i would do

1. Get a letter off Uni to say he has finished the course. He will need this in order to
    2. Get signed up for Jobseekers allowance and search like mad for a job
    3. Get advice about the contract re the Landlord, i know he is saying what he would accept, but if you can't afford it then that is not an option.
    4. Get a bank account elsewhere, and be prepared for them ringing him up..although if his phone is blocked then that will not be an option for them to ring, silver lining maybe.
    5. Check on that contract and see if he can get out of it or reduce it. Go on payg or get a sim from Tesco's for £10 a month =three times the credit. Make arrangements with the bank as soon as money comes in to pay them a token amount
    6. Get tough with him and make him not think it is an easy option, we all have to face reality so the sooner he hits the ground running the better it will be in the long run.
    7. Get in touch with one of the debt charities.

Hope that helps Bob x
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
    Still lurking around with a hope of some salvation:cool:
  • vw_campervan_mum
    Options
    Thanks for that :)
    Food £0/£120 pm Diesel £0/£100 Me/DD £0/£80 Yearly (clothes/holidays/presents) £0/£100

• vw_campervan_mum
    Options
    How do I move this thread?

• boredofbeingathome
    Options
    Just start a new thread and copy and paste your first post there.

I found this and wondered if it would be of any help?
    http://www.pastures-new.co.uk/info/student_accommodation/contracts

I was particularly interested in the bit about the deposit. Has he paid one? Could that not go off the rent arrears?
    Blackadder: Am I jumping the gun, Baldrick, or are the words 'I have a cunning plan' marching with ill-deserved confidence in the direction of this conversation?
    Still lurking around with a hope of some salvation:cool:
  • vw_campervan_mum
    Options
    Thanks again for your help. Think I have managed to move thread. Landlord said as long as room is left ok he can put deposit to last month (Tho its only £250). He left today so they will prob check tomo.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure