MFW - Do you tell other people what you are aiming for?

Options

Comments

• comping_cat
    comping_cat Posts: 24,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Ive told a couple of people (my mum, sister and a couple of close friends) but thats it. My financial business is my own affair, and as a single mum i dont like to justify what im doing.
  • Markmiwordz
    Options
    Keeping up with the Jones's is expensive....
    and if you haven't already noticed, they're broke!
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    Not quite the same, but related : a friend of ours inherited £100,000 (The first thing he did was paid off his mortgage). He wanted to let everyone know about his good fortune - it was from a very unexpected source and he was just so thrilled.

After our experience with our neighbour's sour grapes, we advised our friend to keep quiet about it as people would not, on the whole, want to celebrate his good fortune. They would just be jealous.

We celebrated it with him and his wife and a good time was had by all!
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • pollyanna24
    pollyanna24 Posts: 4,370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tad premature for me to even be thinking of paying of the ole mortgagae (see sig). I think what we're trying to do is overpay as much as we can as the mo to get the mortgage down

1 to compensate for the "crash" that's coming!
    2 so our payments hopefully aren't so much in a couple of years when the sprogs start coming!
    :rotfl:
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - £180,235.03
    (End 2021) - £131,215.25 DID IT!!!
    (End 2022) - Target £116,213.81
  • Stu_H76
    Stu_H76 Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    I've told a few people, a couple are doing the same, but most don't get it really or wonder why I bother. It gets me down a little, so I don't often say to much. But the Wife and I are happy to keep hitting it the moment, lets see where it takes us.
  • mini
    mini Posts: 833 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's nice to come on here & not feel like a nutty person!

We have just paid off a chunk of our mortgage, reduced the term by 14 years & are paying £30 more a month than we were, hopefully managable & we can make overpayments too . Loads of peopel we know have the same must have lists, leather sofas, huge fridge freezers, 7 seater cars etc & every room in the house looks like a Next catalogue, we do look poor by comparison & I can tell by some peoples reactions they presume we are, we hope to be mortgage free by the time our children are 18 so we can help out uni wise etc, I'm glad this board is here, a nice little corner of the world:beer:
    mini
  • FrankieM
    FrankieM Posts: 2,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I love that people here are one the same wave length too...
    I don't understand others peoples issues with it though? Don't they have plans for their future?
    I just don't get why other ( some) people seem to be against the idea of it?
  • cazmanian_minx
    Options
    Keeping up with the Jones's is expensive....
    and if you haven't already noticed, they're broke!

No we're not, we're just being careful with money so we can pay off the mortgage early!!!

:rotfl:

Caz (Jones!)
  • Lizzieanne
    Options
    When the mortgage rate went down from 15% in the 80s, we carried on paying the same amount and consequently paid our mortgage off early.

Whenever our next-door neighbour mentioned his financial affairs he always said accusingly 'Oh well, it's OK for you, you've got no mortgage, have you?' as though some kind person had reached into their pocket and paid it off for us.

:T I couldn't agree more!

Mr L and I took out a mortgage on our first house in 1990, when I was 20 and he was 22. It was tough and for many years we didn't have the holidays and flash cars that our friends had. We're now in a much larger house with relatively small mortgage and whilst we're not anywhere near to being mortgage free, we're on schedule to have no mortgage and be retired when we're 47 and 49 respectively.

Somehow along the way. we have become 'lucky', according to some friends. :confused:

Sour grapes, definitely!

Good luck to everyone. :)
    Mortgage Free as of 03/07/2017 :beer:
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Sadly people seem to me to mistake living for the moment with spending for the moment. I'd always advocate living for the moment - my son will never be under 2 again, and at some stage will no longer want to play silly games with Dad. However I am aware that for him fun is Dad getting down on hands and knees and playing his game - whatever that might be, or playing football in the garden, or hunting for spiders etc. It isn't coming home with the latest expensive toy for him.

Maybe I'm just wierd but likewise I get more fun out of playing with DS (and hopefully soon DC2) than getting the latest gizmo - we barely have time after playing and doing the household stuff to watch TV let alone need the latest gizmo or flash car. Fancy holidays are also a waste with tinies.

We'd got into the black before we moved in September and the plan is to head in that direction again, although with another baby on the way the next 12 months at least will be more a question of treading water than making real progress. The difference is we now have a house which will be enough to see us through as a family, we owe less than 50% of its value. It needs stuff doing on it but we cheated on the house warming and had it within a week of moving in so we had an excuse for it looking a tip. The kitchen has been refurbed with new doors for £250 rather than a £5k refit, and we'll go on in that vein!
    Adventure before Dementia!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport