PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help Me Shrink My Jeans!

Options
Hope this is not a bit of a stupid query :rolleyes:

I bought a pair of new jeans the other week. I thought they fit really well when I bought them, but since I wore them discovered that they're way too big on the waist/hips and I have to keep yanking them up. I've got back into the gym so I've lost a bit of weight and I was probably a bit PMT (ie a bit porkier) when I bought them as well :rolleyes: I can't take them back as I've worn them, and they were the smallest size anyway.

I'm not really a belt wearer and I don't want the 'sack of potatoes' tied up look. I could get them altered, but that might be a bit complicated and expensive with something like jeans? Is there an easy way to shrink them a bit? They're dark jeans so I think that a really hot wash would fade them too much - is there another way?

cheers

Comments

• LJM
    LJM Posts: 4,535 Forumite
    Options
    i was going to say a hot wash would one hot fade them badly?
    :xmastree:Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life :xmastree:
  • laughing_cow
    Options
    I'm not sure :confused: I've got lots of faded or mid blue pairs and I bought this pair specifically because they're nice and new dark! I'm a bit worried that they would end up looking like my others.

Is there anything I could put in the wash to fix the dye perhaps? :confused:
  • Penelope_Penguin
    Options
    If you only want to "shrink" them around the waist and hips, without shortening them or shrinking them around the thighs, then alterations is your only option!

My daughter often needs this doing, and I've had some success putting a tuck into the waistband. With shirts being worn out rather than tucked in, this isn't a prob for her.

Penny. x
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • laughing_cow
    Options
    If you only want to "shrink" them around the waist and hips, without shortening them or shrinking them around the thighs, then alterations is your only option!

I've just tried them on :D They'd be fine if they were a bit smaller on the thighs, and as I'm a shorty, my jeans are always a bit long anyway. :D Hopefully someone might have a suggestion for 'dye fixing'
  • carol_a_3
    carol_a_3 Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    Options
    This brings back memories of sitting in a bath with my Levis on in the 70s!!
  • laughing_cow
    Options
    I did that too back in the 80s! :rolleyes: Can't remember if it actually worked though? Not sure I fancy getting in my bath wearing jeans, and anyway, it's a bit cold tonight for that kind of malarkey :D
  • broomstick27
    Options
    hmmm how awful to need to shrink jeans that you bought in the smallest size!
    Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.
  • wendym
    wendym Posts: 2,945 Forumite
    Options
    I too felt for anyone needing to shrink the smallest size! Size 0 seemed impossible enough - are you aiming for size minus 2?

And I too sat in a bath - does anyone remember whether it actually achieved anything?
  • laughing_cow
    Options
    I know, I'm a short!!!!! :D They're from a shop where I find the sizes are quite generous - I don't think I was thinking straight really, blame the PMT!
  • laughing_cow
    Options
    wendym wrote:
    I too felt for anyone needing to shrink the smallest size! Size 0 seemed impossible enough - are you aiming for size minus 2?

And I too sat in a bath - does anyone remember whether it actually achieved anything?

No, no! I ain't no waif! :rotfl: And I'm 37, so I've got plenty of wobbly bits! They're a size 8 from a high street shop.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure