PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Baking

Options
am looking for tips on this fine art.years ago on my mums old cooker i was awhizz if i do say so myself but since she got a new cooker-and we are talking about 20+years ago my baking flops.
today i made a batch od scones-they didnt rise much at all and outside is hard-inside lovely and soft and they do taste ok
also made a victoria sponge which feels crispy to the touch around the edges but again soft in the middle-havent tried it yet as no icing sugar to ice it up

any hints gratefully accepted
as i am trying to reduce some of my weekly food bill-was £62 yesterday and is usually way over £100 so was pleased now if i could just do some basic baking instead of buying processed treats i will be onto a winner

thanks in advance and sorry for waffling on

janey xxx
LIFE IS FOR LIVING-I`VE LEARNT THAT THE HARD WAY

Comments

• newlywed
    newlywed Posts: 8,255 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My mum's gas cooker has always been slightly lower than the temperature is meant to be so she had to turn it up more than the recipe says. Could it be that her old cooker was like this and so now you are slightly overbaking things? Eg, electric fan oven cooks much quicker so you put it on a slightly lower temperature.

Have you tried cooking it at a slightly lower temp? ;)
    working on clearing the clutterDo I want the stuff or the space?
  • Rikki
    Rikki Posts: 21,625 Forumite
    Options
    These are a MSE favourite. Weetabix Brownies and Flapjacks.
    £2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is £4 :).............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

......................................................................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
  • janeym8
    janeym8 Posts: 529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sounds lovely rikki even i might manage to get that right lol

janey xxx
    LIFE IS FOR LIVING-I`VE LEARNT THAT THE HARD WAY
  • Paulie'sGirl
    Options
    Hey Janeym8,

I once had scone which didn't rise, I'd been a bit enthusiastic with the sugar... Also, I think the oven has to be preheated else the outside hardens before the scones can rise.

Oh, and another mistake I once made (recurring theme I know...) was I used plain instead of selfraising flour. I'm sure you're not as blonde as me though...

Hope that helps?

PG
  • dragonstamperuk
    Options
    I always add a 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder to help the raising, and have learnt never to roll it out, and a very hot oven, never cold, for 10 mins approx

hope you find a solution
    Tracey
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family