The Money Secret by Rob Parsons

Options
2»

Comments

• queenbee2006
    Options
    .....but is that the book ( the money secret) that mentions Stupid Alice and the cups?
    If you want a book with examines the mind side of getting out of debt then you could read Suze orman's the laws of money- found it a good read.
  • Pobby
    Pobby Posts: 5,438 Forumite
    Options
    My OH got me Martins book for Christmas.Think she had wished she hadn`t.I`ve become an insane money saving freak!!!!!!!!!!!This is the year of being money savvy and not so lazy about looking after it.First bit of advice was to call my mobile provider,Yes,Martin is right,got a much better deal.Then moaned at my bank manager about crap savings rate he is giving us.Can`t compete mister,well I`m outta Nat West!
  • amosworks
    amosworks Posts: 1,831 Forumite
    Options
    Hey you guys, don't forget to add your reviews to The DFW Virtual Book Club so we can try and build up a good resource of debt-related literature :)
  • Broken_hearted
    Broken_hearted Posts: 9,553 Forumite
    Options
    well I don't intend to read either (sorry Martin), I know how I got into debt and how to get out of it. The only piece of money advice that ever stuck in my head is the pay yourself first everyone else will wait. It works.
    Barclaycard 3800

Nothing to do but hibernate till spring

• System
    System Posts: 178,101 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've read the money secret and whilst I thought the idea was a bit far fethced it got the message across quite well. Defo worth a read.
  • tesuhoha
    tesuhoha Posts: 17,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    .....but is that the book ( the money secret) that mentions Stupid Alice and the cups?
    If you want a book with examines the mind side of getting out of debt then you could read Suze orman's the laws of money- found it a good read.
    Im sorry but Alice is far from stupid. She manages to pay all the bills every month by using the cups and keeps the family out of debt andthen her husb and comes along, takes over the finances and lo and behold they start building up debt. So they go back to the cups again. This might seem like a stupid fairy story but it is just another way of saying put everything into pots, or separate accounts to budget for everything.

I picked up the Money Secret in Smiths last year before I had heard of the Money Diet and it made me start to think differently about money. I read it in one sitting and then cut up all my credit cards. I can honestly say I havent used them since. It also made me cancel all my outgoings that were not strictly necessary. I would say that it is an interesting book but if you have already read the Money Diet then it probably doesnt have a lot to teach you.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• AGB863
    AGB863 Posts: 521 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The book has been out for about 15 - 18 months (I think).

I work for a voluntary debt management company and I often have to give presentations to groups of people about debt and how to get out of the hole and I recommend that people could use this book as a guide of how to get back on track.

I also flag up the MSE web site, the Credit Action web site and other web sites frequently listed on here for areas of support.

The book it self is very easy to read and it gets you into a different mode of thinking about to handle debts and the problems caused by debt.
    I am a debt counsellor working in the voluntary sector - we don't charge our clients for the work we do!
  • sashacat
    sashacat Posts: 821 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I reckon the money diet is brilliant. I bought it for my dd and she now has all of her debt on 0% and is currently sueing her bank for her charges back.
    Wombling £457.41
  • Lewby
    Lewby Posts: 449 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have just bought The Money Diet on Amazon for £3.99 ... what a great buy! I wasn't going to buy it as I thought that everything would be on this site that's in it but I did get it and have strategically placed it in the loo and I know my non-DFW OH has been reading it because I craftily leave it in a certain position and it's always moved after he's been in there .... for 30 minutes or more!

So a brilliant investment! But I will also get The Money Secret if it's a different approach .... so he's got something to read it the morning's after he's finished with Martin! Just checked and it's second hand on Amazon for £2.20 ... can't be bad!

Lewby xx
    ** Official DFW Nerd Club Member 009**
    Total Debt 01/02/11 [STRIKE] £64,912 [/STRIKE] 01/04/16 [STRIKE]£32,700[/STRIKE] 01/01/19 £0 :j
    NSD's for Feb 01/15 GC £0 / £300
  • youngandreckless
    Options
    I read the money secret a while ago and to be honest I don't think anyone that is a regular on this site will really get much more out of it than reading some of the posts on here - Ms London, James240 etc.
    Its a nice story and the logic in it is good stuff, but to be honest I think that most regular DFW's are well aware of the lesson its trying to teach.
    Quit smoking 18/08/07
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport