My tiny corner :)

Options
Isn't it frustrating when you type out a big spiel of text, and something random happens, and you have to type it all over again? :)

Anyhoo, so I've joined mse to give me the kick up the bum that I obviously need to end the cycle of accruing, consolidating and paying off debt, and to start thinking about the future.

My goal for the next 6 months is to pay off the following approximate debts:

£1400 credit card
£100 laptop balance
£60 bt

I also need to contact all of my utility companies and check that we don't owe anything, or to pay off any balances.

In addition to the clearing of debts, I want to purchase a few items:

£1000 MacBook
£250 garden shed
£300 bed and mattress

In theory, all of this should be possible, providing I budget carefully, and don't end up in town randomly spending £30 on charity shop dresses, or £20 on items from asos.

I feel I should add I'm aware that the MacBook is stupidly extravagant. My husband wants one, and after years of stocking up my wardrobe, and spending frivolously on myself, I feel obliged to agree to it. It's the least I owe him after all the support he provides. Trust me, it's a lot.

So, goals for now until 17/4?

Use any leftover money in bank a/c towards credit card.
Check all meters and update utility companies.
Absolutely no clothes purchases.
Draw up a feasible budget.
Pay off laptop.
Don't touch isa or savings a/c.
Stop smoking before 1/4.

Right now though, it's time for sleep. Long day ahead :)

Comments

• Kei
    Kei Posts: 327 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya ThriftyOverspender,

:hello:Welcome to your new diary! I started mine about a month ago and it really has been a good motivation tool, so keep updating!

I am also trying not to purchase clothes until I have got rid of the debt - I have haven't bought anything new since Dec 10! Have been avoiding the shops at all costs! When spring comes in am going to have to have a good root through my clothes and 'shop' my wardrobe to avoid the temptation as all the new stock is in the shops!

I think it is nice you are buying your husband a present. One of the first things I will do is treat my OH when I am debt free as he also supports me and helps me when I am financially embarrased!
    [STRIKE]Family £400[/STRIKE] CC1 [STRIKE]£415[/STRIKE] Lloyds [STRIKE]£460[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Natwest£750[/STRIKE] £627.59 Tesco [STRIKE]£1880[/STRIKE] £1725 Grand total £2,352.59

Pay off all debt by xmas 2014 #136 £1552.41/£3905

Additional money made 2014 £88.50
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Welcome TO - you're right about needing to break behaviour patterns when it comes to consolidation etc - try to work out how much better of you would be now if you hadn't fallen into that pattern, and also how much it has cost you in interest over the past few years. Write your figures down on a sheet of paper, then shred or burn the paper and promise yourself that is the end of it, then move on.

Good luck - a £250 garden shed sounds an interesting prospect!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • dundeedoll_2
    dundeedoll_2 Posts: 1,199 Forumite
    edited 10 March 2011 at 7:31PM
    Options
    Isn't it frustrating when you type out a big spiel of text, and something random happens, and you have to type it all over again? :)
    Anyhoo, so I've joined mse to give me the kick up the bum that I obviously need to end the cycle of accruing, consolidating and paying off debt, and to start thinking about the future.
    My goal for the next 6 months is to pay off the following approximate debts:
    £1400 credit card
    £100 laptop balance
    £60 bt
    I also need to contact all of my utility companies and check that we don't owe anything, or to pay off any balances.

In addition to the clearing of debts, I want to purchase a few items:
    £1000 MacBook
    £250 garden shed
    £300 bed and mattress

In theory, all of this should be possible, providing I budget carefully, and don't end up in town randomly spending £30 on charity shop dresses, or £20 on items from asos.
    I feel I should add I'm aware that the MacBook is stupidly extravagant. My husband wants one, and after years of stocking up my wardrobe, and spending frivolously on myself, I feel obliged to agree to it. It's the least I owe him after all the support he provides. Trust me, it's a lot.
    So, goals for now until 17/4?
    Use any leftover money in bank a/c towards credit card.
    Check all meters and update utility companies.
    Absolutely no clothes purchases.
    Draw up a feasible budget.
    Pay off laptop.
    Don't touch isa or savings a/c.
    Stop smoking before 1/4.

Right now though, it's time for sleep. Long day ahead :)

welcome-1.gif Thrifty!

What a lovely positive post! You're obviously in the right frame of mind to tackle the debt. I look forward to reading how you get on.

A tip about losing your post.............MSE times you out, so if you've written out a long post or gone to make a cuppa, answered phone etc when you press submit it will take you back to the sign in page and your post is no more :mad:
    I right click on select all / copy a few times whilst writing out a post.

I stopped smoking on 1/8/2010 with the help of the thread on the diary pages. A real friendly thread that is very supportive and motivating. I am fairly sure that had I not posted on there I would not have stopped. Come and say :hello:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2957492
    Nicotine Free since 01.08.2010 :j:j:j

Sealed Pot Challenge member 1097 2011 £1024.78 :T

I feel the two are connected :D
  • Kei
    Kei Posts: 327 Forumite
    Options
    dundeedoll wrote: »

A tip about losing your post.............MSE times you out, so if you've written out a long post or gone to make a cuppa, answered phone etc when you press submit it will take you back to the sign in page and your post is no more :mad:
    I right click on select all / copy a few times whilst writing out a post.

Thanks for the tip I didn't know that!
    [STRIKE]Family £400[/STRIKE] CC1 [STRIKE]£415[/STRIKE] Lloyds [STRIKE]£460[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Natwest£750[/STRIKE] £627.59 Tesco [STRIKE]£1880[/STRIKE] £1725 Grand total £2,352.59

Pay off all debt by xmas 2014 #136 £1552.41/£3905

Additional money made 2014 £88.50
  • abba1772
    abba1772 Posts: 7,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    welcome ThirftyOverSpend, i started my dairy october last year and the support you get on here is amazing x x x

good luck with the debtbusting x x x
    NEXT TARGET: Halifax credit card DEC 22 £0 / £4499.12
    POAMAYC 2011 £6378.35 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90 POAMAYC 2017 £7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 £13208.18POAMAYC 2019 £13309.28 POAMAYC 2020 £15026.05
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure