Glittery's travel to debt freedom

Options
A big part of me regrets ever leaving the UK for the Caribbean 2 years ago but a huge part of me is thankful for the journey I have had.
I left the UK with debt and its debt that I am going back to, but life will be much better for me and my small family than being stuck half way across the world from my family and friends.

Living in the caribbean has brought many many troubles along the way, employment is extremely difficult to come by and food is so expensive unless you want to eat chicken feet or pigs snout. I am not a snob but I still cant bring myself to tuck into either of these!
On top of all this, I had my son out here so now there are 3 people to look after.

i live hand to mouth now, there is no overdraft facility, no credit cards so literally what money you have - is all you have, when its gone its gone.
I have learnt to budget extremely well, one month we ran out of money for lunch so i made sure the baby was well fed and I had a packet of biscuits for lunch for a week as it was the cheapest thing in the shop.
I havent bought many clothes in 2 years unless I have visited the UK and then its only what can fit into a suitcase. I have used my make up to the full and often went without make up to make it last longer.

I have showered using shampoo as I ran out of shower gel and couldnt replace it.
I have repaired clothes instead of throwing out.
I live by meal planners to ensure a healthy varied diet for the family but as cheap as possible. Over here discounted food is unheard of, there are no deals or bargains to be had, the price is the price it is.

Coming back to the uk fills me with enjoyment and excitement as I will be able to provide much better for my little one and my husband as i know how to budget and live within my means. I am fully aware of my outstanding debts currently standing in the UK and will pay each and every one off. I think I owe around 10000, and can't wait until I can pay it off, the sense of satisfaction will be great.
I know it will be a struggle but with the pound shop and discounted items I know my family will live a better happier life than the one we live right now.

My biggest concern right now is saving hard for tickets back to the UK, hopefully we will be back in April 2011, we will be staying with my mum in the beginning and I am aiming to get employment as I work in admin, I want to pay off as much debt as possible whilst staying with my mum and be debt free when we move out on our own.

It will be a hard road but it can't possibly be as hard as our lives are right now.
Love a charity shop bargain
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport