TIPS. Organic/Ethical lifestyle on budget

Options
I enjoy the 'what's in your veg-box' thread. But I'd also like to hear some ideas from others who wish to eat more organically, begin to banish toxins from the home, source good quality yet ethically produced clothes, fabrics and bedding - all on a very limited budget. No eco-warrior bludgeon-brandishing (try saying that after a few glasses of elderberry and parsnip wine!), just little ideas for things we can begin to do that'll all add up to make a real difference.

Sorry if there is already a thread like this, but I couldn't find one:p

Comments

• rinabean
    rinabean Posts: 359 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can't think of any tips but I'll be watching this thread with interest. Balancing ethics, cost and health is really hard for me. :)
  • LittleMissAspie
    LittleMissAspie Posts: 2,130 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    "Astonish" cleaning products are BUAV approved (not tested on animals) and aren't damaging to the environment, and you can get them in cheapo shops for 99p a bottle.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    True. Also it's difficult to find things such as organic toiletries, shampoo and hand wash etc that don't cost £12+ a bottle! It would be good to find out where peeps get them from
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    "Astonish" cleaning products are BUAV approved (not tested on animals) and aren't damaging to the environment, and you can get them in cheapo shops for 99p a bottle.

Thanks :j I'll look out for those. I'd not heard of 'Astonish' before.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 2,714 Forumite
    edited 3 March 2011 at 5:16PM
    Options
    Seem to recall that the Cooperative shops offer BUAV approved cleaning products (check the labels though to make sure) and even fair trade washing up gloves. Also check on here for OS style cleaning tips such as using soap nuts for laundry. Try charity shops for clothing on a budget. Although they may not have been originally ethically made, the money you spend on them is going to a charity and not the manufacturer. Think about getting an organic fruit/ veg box (thread on this also on OS) batch cook and freeze. This means depending on how many mouths you have to feed you will only be buying a box every couple of weeks or so. If you have a garden or space for plant tubs why not grow some of your own veg?
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    Options
    I can vote for Astonish, its very good. I've used it in the past.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Seem to recall that the Cooperative shops offer BUAV approved cleaning products (check the labels though to make sure) and even fair trade washing up gloves. Also check on here for OS style cleaning tips such as using soap nuts for laundry. Try charity shops for clothing on a budget. Although they may not have been originally ethically made, the money you spend on them is going to a charity and not the manufacturer. Think about getting an organic fruit/ veg box (thread on this also on OS) batch cook and freeze. This means depending on how many mouths you have to feed you will only be buying a box every couple of weeks or so. If you have a garden or space for plant tubs why not grow some of your own veg?

Thanks for adding your tips :)
    I get the veg box and find it saves me money as I focus on using every scrap of veg - nothing wasted. We also batch cook and freeze a lot of stuff and (try to) grow a few veggies :D each year. I get a bit fed up with making bread though, even the no knead stuff, yet hate buying factory baked stuff which seems so unhealthy. I can't seem to justify a Panasonic BM as it's pricey and only bakes one loaf at a time:(

I have a rather large stash of knitting/crochet yarns, but I wonder if peeps have tried and trusted sources of the eco-friendly ones , especially that are reasonably priced or are on sale
  • enola
    enola Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I've been working hard on doing all of this recently and so thought I'd share a little of what I've found so far.
    My goals are to be ethical, environmentally friendly, organic and local wherever possible.
    I get the smallest Abel & Cole fruit and veg box, as having checked out the others in my area in terms of quality and the fact that they are organic and I can list dislikes (of which we have many!) that works out as the best value for us. Unfortunately the local veg and organic shop shut down just as we moved here, and the market and co-operative produce is not good quality :(

I'm in the middle of trialling a meat pack from my local butchers, which works out far cheaper than supermarkets plus is local and free range :) Worth asking your local butcher if they do bulk deals for freezing if you have one. The meat from mine comes ready-diced (I've gone for the 'stew pack') and portioned into 1lb packs, so a perfect family meal size! So easy to throw in the slow cooker with veggies :)

I'm trying to get onto the local dairy to compare prices but have had no luck thusfar.

I now buy eggs from a lady at church as hubby won't let me get my own chickens (to be fair, with two under two we do rather have our hands full!). I love it as I know the chickens, how they live and the eggs are amazing quality with the most beautiful golden yolks.

I've taken up knitting, and am going to be knitting some sturdy dishcloths as we use reusable wipes and nappies and muslin bibs for the babies, so seems silly buying dishcloths!

I'm planning container gardening for next year, although hopefully soon we might get an allotment (on the waiting list at the mo).

For cleaning, I mainly use lemon juice and bicarb with essential oils, Ecover washing up liquid and detergent. Oh and E cloths are amazing! We tried soap nuts but they're not so great for our very hard water.

My next big goal is working out what I can buy bulk and where from as I detest the supermarket and want to go there as little as possible...ideally never! My main needs now are Oatly milk (my sons and I have a dairy intolerance), cereals (I literally cannot live without nice cereal, it's how I manage to keep my weight up!) and rice/pasta, pulses, sugar, salts, spices, yeast and bread flour. Oh and loo roll!! Any ideas of good, ethical places I can buy bulk of these cheaply, anyone? I've been trying to work out if it might be cheaper to buy online factoring in delivery, but it's difficult to get comparison prices for cash and carries. My friend has Costco membership, so could get me things, but would they work out cheaper?
  • Dave101t
    Dave101t Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Options
    save water: dont bathe!
    Target Savings by end 2009: 20,000
    current savings: 20,500 (target hit yippee!)
    Debts: 8000 (student loan so doesnt count)

new target savings by Feb 2010: 30,000
  • samanthaneww2d
    Options
    budgeteer wrote: »
    True. Also it's difficult to find things such as organic toiletries, shampoo and hand wash etc that don't cost £12+ a bottle! It would be good to find out where peeps get them from

I buy naked shampoo from Boots its £4.07 a bottle organic blue toiletries are quite cheap and faith in nature from the health food shop are reasonably prices aswell I buty moisturise from tesco called myskin for my daughter at the moment its under £2 its free from parabens and sls and other nasties. Nivea have just launched a load of stuff called nivea pure which is on offer at a few places as its new and I believe st ives are about to bring out a lot of stuff too. I do like John masters stuff but its about £16 a bottle but I can't afford that on another plus at my local poundland I bought some Daniel Galvin Organic conditioner for £1 it was for reds ( although I am brunette I have still used it and my hair has not suffered any ill effects)

I buy my suncream from Greenpeople when they have a bogof offer
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport