MSE News: Citizens Advice bids to ban rogue debt firms

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
9 replies 1.4K views
MSE_GuyMSE_Guy MSE Staff
1.7K posts
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Vulnerable people are being tricked into handing over cash by rogue credit brokers and debt firms, a charity warns ..."

Replies

• plod123plod123 Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Seems like they have a conflict of interest there.
    He who is not really annoying will hardly feel the pressure of age, but to him who is of an opposite disposition youth and age are equally a burden. Plato.
  • lvmlvm Forumite
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hope these companies get what's coming to them! I've been getting calls from Gemstone who call and tell me they want to speak to me about an application I made!! Having read their website they want to take a fee of about £90 over 2 months then £45 a month when our debt management plan is started!

Absolutely ridiculous!
    Mortgage Free Journey!
    Total Purchase Prices - £1,031,000
    Current Values - £1,150,000
    Mortgage(s) March 2019 - £708,102
    Aim for March 2020 - £695,000
    Aim for March 2021 - £680,000
  • ButtiButti Forumite
    5K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can't we send Ashley Cole in to 'talk' to them.

B
    Debt LBM (08/09) £11,641. (08/12) £22,734. (9/19 )£3221
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    Diary 2 'The whimsical tale of the Waterbed of Debt'
    [STRIKE]35%[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]35.4%[/STRIKE] 40.1% off mortgage
    'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S :cool: MOB
    1.4K posts
    They also want our stories too

Here is mine

Well there I was working hard paying my tax, when some geezer decided to give millions of tax payers money to some jumped up charity.

They don't want their Government Gravy Train ruined by private companies so try and get them banned.

Nice work if you can get it eh?
    He who is not really annoying will hardly feel the pressure of age, but to him who is of an opposite disposition youth and age are equally a burden. Plato.
  • davidgmmafandavidgmmafan Forumite
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope post 5 is trolling. If it were serious I would point out that CAB helps people, thus saving the government money in things like housing, crime etc etc.

Also the issue here is companies aren't actually doing anything. They are charging a kind of application fee - money for nothing! Whilst I agree the victims bear some responsibility if they are deperate or impaired in some way its simply unacceptable for them to be taken advantage of in this way.

There is one thing I'm confused by in the article, it refers to bank details. It must be their card details as if it was just bank details that would be a direct debit which the account holder could claim back under the direct debit guarantee surely?
    Mixed Martial Arts is the greatest sport known to mankind and anyone who says it is 'a bar room brawl' has never trained in it and has no idea what they are talking about.
  • immoral_angelukimmoral_angeluk Forumite
    24.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    plod123 wrote: »
    They also want our stories too

Here is mine

Well there I was working hard paying my tax, when some geezer decided to give millions of tax payers money to some jumped up charity.

They don't want their Government Gravy Train ruined by private companies so try and get them banned.

Nice work if you can get it eh?
    You clearly have no idea what CAB do, do you?
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • immoral_angelukimmoral_angeluk Forumite
    24.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    plod123 wrote: »
    Seems like they have a conflict of interest there.
    Having worked with clients who have been totally ripped off by such companies, I can reassure there is definitely no conflict of interest.
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
    1.4K posts
    I really hope post 5 is trolling. If it were serious I would point out that CAB helps people, thus saving the government money in things like housing, crime etc etc.

Believe the hype if you wish, accusing someone of trolling because they have a different take on things is, well, trolling really!
  • edited 6 March 2011 at 11:17PM
    plod123plod123 Forumite
    1.4K posts
    edited 6 March 2011 at 11:17PM
    You clearly have no idea what CAB do, do you?

Oh but I do - a very in depth knowledge actually, what would you like to know?

Lets hope this applies to the CAB as well,

"R3 has called for DMP providers to be regulated by the Insolvency Service and to the same standards as insolvency practitioners so as to deter bad practice."
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support