Road weight restrictions

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
7 replies 857 views
Enemies.CloserEnemies.Closer Forumite
376 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
Can anyone advise who I report the weight of vehicles using a road which has a sign for 7.5 tonne only exceeding on a regular basis?

It is heavy plant diggers being transported, lorries etc... That is accessing the road.

Replies

• RTNIRTNI Forumite
    817 Posts
    Police I would think - 02890 650222 (non - emergency number) or on your local Facebook website if your area has one.
    Regards, Robin.
    2011 MFW # 34
    Mortgage starting balance at Sept 09 - £127,224 on 30 year term. Currently balance approx £116,945 (Updated Jan '12)
    Estimated MFD - [STRIKE]Sept 2039[/STRIKE]
    , April 2031 (in progress!)
  • redpedredped Forumite
    670 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    How about the Roads Service? They can then use this as another excuse for all the potholes we have in our roads ...
  • But who/where to in the Roads Service?

Not to sure if the Police would do anything??
  • Probably the Divisional manager for whichever area you are in. Contact information here
  • redpedredped Forumite
    670 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    http://www.roadsni.gov.uk/contactus.htm

To be fair to them, when I contacted them during the heavy snow about getting a grit box refilled, they put me straight through to my local area, who got the box filled within a few days. You should phone your local division and see if they know who the best person is to talk to. If the Roads Service think there's definitely an issue, they may send someone out to monitor the situation, and decide if they should take further action.

Edit: Golden Anemone beat me to it!
  • RTNIRTNI Forumite
    817 Posts
    But who/where to in the Roads Service?

Not to sure if the Police would do anything??

But surely if there is a sign restricting the size/ weight of vehicle that is allowed to use the road then this is a police enforcement area? They are not obeying the sign that says "you must not use this road if your vehicle is over this...[add in weight/size here]"

Also, if you have the reg numbers of the vehicles in question then this would be v. useful.
    Regards, Robin.
    2011 MFW # 34
    Mortgage starting balance at Sept 09 - £127,224 on 30 year term. Currently balance approx £116,945 (Updated Jan '12)
    Estimated MFD - [STRIKE]Sept 2039[/STRIKE]
    , April 2031 (in progress!)
  • ni-jamesni-james Forumite
    34 Posts
    Not sure about this country, but as a truck driver who travels to England every week its the trading standards who actually enforce the weight restrictions over there. Police take no interest in it. To be honest I don't think its enforced at all in this country. In all the years driving I've never heard a single driver being prosecuted over here.

Also depends on the actual sign. If it has 'except for access' below the sign then all trucks can legally use the road if their work requires. The only time its a blanket ban is if a sign says weak bridge or something similar.

I have to go through dozens of weight restrictions every week to do deliveries, it is unavoidable and perfectly legal.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides