Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Mobile Phone question

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
14 replies 1.1K views
tryingtocutbacktryingtocutback Forumite
473 Posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
I have already posted this on the mobile phone board but thought I would also ask you DFW'ers.

I currently have a pay as you go samsung E1360 on Orange.

I put between £20-£30 per month on it and I probably make 5 calls per week to uk landline (2-3 mins each time) and send approximately 20 per week.

Can I get a better deal by switching to contract? Im not that bothered for a fancy phone just wondering about free mins/texts?

Any help you can give would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    You should check out SIM only deals - I'm with Vodaphone, pay £10 per month and get 300 anytime any network minutes and unlimited texts

If you're not bothered about the phone, probably worth a look
  • Definately! If you're willing to switch networks then O2 simplicity contracts are worth a look at.....i pay £20 per month (on a rolling 30day contract) and get 600mins, unlimited texts and free 02 to 02 calls.... Its a good deal but i still seem to go over -something i probably need to look at myself!
  • tryingtocutbacktryingtocutback Forumite
    473 Posts
    ✭✭
    Thank you both - I will take a look
  • TixyTixy Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What orange PAYG tariff are you on?
    Should work out cheaper if you went for the canary tariff and topped up at least £10 a month (so you get the rewards that come with than - including the 100 texts and free evening calls). They you'd only be paying for your 60odd mins a month to landlines so £12 a month.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
    473 Posts
    ✭✭
    Im not sure what tariff I am on - is it worth ringing them and asking about a better deal even though I am on pay as you go?
  • TixyTixy Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im not sure what tariff I am on - is it worth ringing them and asking about a better deal even though I am on pay as you go?

I would, they seem to be bringing out new deals all the time. They should be able to look at your usage and suggest an alternative, especially if you say that you will leave otherwise because you have found a better deal elsewhere.
    I would try this first because it saves having to faff about switching or getting your phone unlocked to be used with other providers etc.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
    473 Posts
    ✭✭
    thanks tixy - will call them today.
  • edited 28 February 2011 at 5:57PM
    SimIsOnTheUpSimIsOnTheUp Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    edited 28 February 2011 at 5:57PM
    I have already posted this on the mobile phone board but thought I would also ask you DFW'ers.

I currently have a pay as you go samsung E1360 on Orange.

I put between £20-£30 per month on it and I probably make 5 calls per week to uk landline (2-3 mins each time) and send approximately 20 per week.

Can I get a better deal by switching to contract? Im not that bothered for a fancy phone just wondering about free mins/texts?

Any help you can give would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hiya,

Have a look at https://www.giffgaff.com

I've been with them since July 2010, and they've been brilliant. GiffGaff go off the O2 network, but they are their own company.

You get support on their forum from fellow GiffGaff members (no call centre hassle), and you'll usually get a response to any queries on there within a minute or two!

GiffGaff are PAYG, so you won't be tied into a contract, and you'll still get some cracking SIM only offers. £10 will get you 250 free minutes, unlimited texts, and unlimited internet too (internet until end of March).

GiffGaff beat all the other networks for free texts / minutes / web / online support hands down. It's also the only network that lets you call 0800 numbers free of charge!

If you'd like £5.00 free credit when you join, I can send you a GiffGaff SIM. That way, we both get £5.00 free credit! :)

PM me if you'd like any further details.

Cheers,

Sim.
  • ennaeeLennaeeL Forumite
    10 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post

If you'd like £5.00 free credit when you join, I can send you a GiffGaff SIM. That way, we both get £5.00 free credit! :)

PM me if you'd like any further details.

Sim.

Can you do a cashback as well?
    When I googled: giffgaff cashback
    I found some sites that do up to £3 cashback as well as the £5 credit.
    Found a few on ebay too. All seem to require a £10 top-up first though and paying 99p or £1 for the sim.
  • ennaeeL wrote: »
    Can you do a cashback as well?
    When I googled: giffgaff cashback
    I found some sites that do up to £3 cashback as well as the £5 credit.
    Found a few on ebay too. All seem to require a £10 top-up first though and paying 99p or £1 for the sim.

No idea regarding the cashback sorry!

To get the £5.00 free credit, you do have to top up with £10 first yes. You have to top up with £10 to activate the SIM anyway though :)

PM me if you'd like a free GiffGaff SIM.

Cheers,

Sim.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

New plastic £50 note in circulation

Inventor and codebreaker Alan Turing is pictured

MSE News

TV MoneySaving tricks

How to save on Sky, Netflix, Now TV, Prime Video and more

MSE Guides

Pret subscription loophole

Get a month's worth of free smoothies, frappes, coffee etc