Looking for a good quality double mattress

Options
Hi guys, lots of threads about beds, etc, but also lots of confusion so starting my own quick thread and hopefully will help me with a purchase. Have been to places like Sleepmasters and Dreams but their beds seem way over priced and the cheaper ones seem pretty poor when I sleep on them.

My budget is up to £500 for the mattress and am looking at a combination of memory foam and pocket sprung. It was originally about £200 but I can stretch it as I know a good comfortable mattress is something I will be using everyday for many years so it is important to get a good one.

Have come across the "Rest Assured, Sanctuary, Padora double mattress" coming in at £465 delivered, is that any good?

I have been sleeping on a pocket sprung Dunlopillo mattress for the last 11 years and it is still going strong but its the wrong size now.

Need to buy a bedstead too and seen a few at £250 but any hints would help.

Thanks.

Comments

• DollyDabbler
    Options
    We bought a bed from BedWorld at Christmas - their customer service was brilliant as the first bed turned up broken and was replaced within 24 hours. So I would recommend a look at their website.
  • twe
    twe Posts: 571 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, will check them out.
    I just noticed that Carpet Right have started to sell beds and I must admit they are so much better value than both Dreams and Sleepmasters!
    The fact that I can test out the beds are good too.
    Going to have another try but am impressed by the Double Memory Zone 1000 for £280 as well as the 2000 and 3000 pocket sprung divan sets with memory foam for £600 and £700..... Those are Sleepezee branded.
  • DollyDabbler
    DollyDabbler Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Bed was bought for DD,it has a Health Foam Deluxe Mattress. DD says it is very comfortable to sleep on.

When the mattress arrived I thought I had made a mistake and ordered a futon mattress as it comes rolled up, but after allowing it to settle out of the wrapping it comes up at a depth of 16cm
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I needed an odd-sized bed so I just bought one from here (they do normal sizes too) and was very impressed with the quality for the price.

http://www.bedtrader.co.uk/
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • TiTheRev
    TiTheRev Posts: 3,215 Forumite
    Options
    Find a local independant. The 'larger' retailers will all have lower spec units, more for mass production.

I went through this recently and managed to find the right bed (after learning the hard way) for much less than your budget, and it's still as good now as the day I bought it thanks to the advice on here. Don't go to Dreams et al, and please stay clear of Silentnight. I am not the only one to have been stung...
    :A Luke 6:38 :A
    The above post is either from personal experience or is my opinion based on the person God has made me and the way I understand things. Please don't be offended if that opinion differs from yours, but feel free to click the 'Thanks' button if it's at all helpful!
  • russ331
    russ331 Posts: 324 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A Which? Magazine survey of their subscribers satisfaction with their mattresses showed that Tempur is the best brand. The survey reults are:

Tempur 85%
    Dunlopillo 78%
    Milbrook 76%
    Sealy 71%
    Sleepeezee 68%
    Silentnight 63%
    Rest Assured 57%
    Ikea 56%

Hope this helps.
  • twe
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone.
    TiTheRev will try and find one but not bumped into one so far! I think thats why I liked the fact that Carpet Right sell them at a very reasonable price. The £280 mattress I mentioned beats Ikea's top end £305 very easily.... Was thinking about them from there but after trying one out will avoid Ikea too.....
    Tempur mattresses are out of my price range russ31. Can't seem to find many places selling the Dunlopillo ones unfortunately. Will have a look at Milbrook ones. The Sleepeezee ones at Carpet Right seemed excellent quality.....

Out of interest which mattress did you buy from Silentnight TiTheRev ?
  • TiTheRev
    Options
    It was a few years ago now, but it was a 'luxury' feathertop open coil sprung...almost VERY open coil! They were poking me every night & I actually developed a bad back after only a few months.
    The above post is either from personal experience or is my opinion based on the person God has made me and the way I understand things. Please don't be offended if that opinion differs from yours, but feel free to click the 'Thanks' button if it's at all helpful!
  • twe
    Options
    ok thanks for letting me know, thats why I have wanted to go to these local stores to try them out before purchasing and comparing them to my 11 year old Dunlopillo. Was surprised how a new bed can be worse than my 11 year old one! Remember being disappointed with the Silentnight Miracoil 7 with memory foam top specially for the price.
  • TiTheRev
    Options
    Yeah, mine was a Miracoil, but it was anything but! The miracoil was that my back survived as long as it did :wink:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure