Alternative MOB outfit- Indian Ladies wear, what do you think ?

Options
Like irisrose in the other MOB thread I have been searching for my outfit- with no luck at the minute.
I have lost a bit of weight and have a reasonable figure but hate my legs 'cos I've got fat ankles (cankles!!)
I have looked online at some of the Indian ladies fashions and quite fancy wearing a shalwar kameez (tunic and trousers) but definitely would want to go to a shop and not order online for something so special.
I'm useless at putting links on but if you google shalwar kameez you'll see what sort of thing I fancy.
So a couple of questions- Do you think this would be suitable ?
And does anyone know of any nice shops, I live in Northants so Leicester, Luton, would be ok.
Would really appreciate your opinions thanks;)

Comments

• DianneB
    DianneB Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Maisie, I think it would be a bit weird wearing a shalwar kameez if it's not your culture, is that just me? I had similar problems last year being 56 and generally a casual dresser m.o.b stuff made me feel so old. I chose a dressy tunic top and cream trousers from Debenhams (so basically a shalwar kameez) they weren't expensive, easy to wear (it was hot) but dressy enough to use on other posh occasions as well. Good luck with finding something really nice.
    Slightly bitter
  • Alikay
    Alikay Posts: 5,147 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There are some lovely Asian fashion shops in the Belgrave /Melton Rd area of Leicester, but are you sure an outfit like this (beautiful though they are) would be appropriate for you and the style of wedding? If you tend to wear floaty ethnic-type clothes and the wedding has a funky alternative feel, I'd say "go for it!". However if you're usually dressed in classic Next or M&S tops n trousers and the wedding is a traditional English affair it could look a bit odd.

Monsoon and East do some nice "East meets West" styles, and if it's a summer wedding Maxi dresses are in now.
  • Maisie_Moo
    Options
    Thanks, I'm not your average M&S dresser , don't get me wrong I like a lot of their stuff but I am definitely bordering on the edge of 'funky'.
    What I really don't want is to look like a real traditional MOB, Dress, jacket etc as this is just not me, so I'll keep looking might have to take a trip to the Begrave Road.
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    edited 28 February 2011 at 5:54PM
    Options
    Have you discussed your proposed outfit with your daughter and is she happy with your choice...whilst I appreciate you say that you like to dress with individual flair...you mustn't let your taste dominate the wedding or outshine your bride.
    I think if its not your cultur then the full on indian outfit may be a very unconventional choice...although I would ask your daughther for her opinions as it is hers that matter and if she is happy with your choices then thats fine. I think its about your daughter shining on her wedding day and you having a supporting role rather than being too funky about your outfit....
    Have you thought about toning down the indian dress a little and going for a trouser suit with a long line coat..that way keeping some of the indian style but a more conventional approach.
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • Rubynewshoes
    Options
    I think it's a fab idea! We had quite an outdoor, 'tea party' style wedding and people came in various fashions. I had an Indian friend attend who wore a sari whilst her husband wore a suit and tie and an English school friend came wearing a full traditional Indian outfit and looked fab. It really suited him and I was delighted he'd made such an effort.

If you like the shalwar kameez, it suits you and would suit the tone of the wedding, I say go for it!
  • Afitos
    Afitos Posts: 503 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

I agree that if your daughter is happy about this sort of outfit you should go for it.

I am originally from Leicester and if you go to Melton Road there are some fantastic shops that have the most lovely looking outfits. I once worn the same to an Indian wedding and it is so comfortable. Be careful not to out shine your daughter though as some of them are amazing!
  • lorna01
    lorna01 Posts: 126 Forumite
    Options
    Maisie_Moo wrote: »
    Like irisrose in the other MOB thread I have been searching for my outfit- with no luck at the minute.
    I have lost a bit of weight and have a reasonable figure but hate my legs 'cos I've got fat ankles (cankles!!)
    I have looked online at some of the Indian ladies fashions and quite fancy wearing a shalwar kameez (tunic and trousers) but definitely would want to go to a shop and not order online for something so special.
    I'm useless at putting links on but if you google shalwar kameez you'll see what sort of thing I fancy.
    So a couple of questions- Do you think this would be suitable ?
    And does anyone know of any nice shops, I live in Northants so Leicester, Luton, would be ok.
    Would really appreciate your opinions thanks;)

try Nitya, their clothes are sort of indian design but western

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nitya-Olive-Green-Knee-Length-Wool-Tunic-Top-Medium-/390295445412?pt=Women_s_Clothing&hash=item5adf6bdfa4

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NITYA-CREAM-LONG-OVER-COAT-SIZE-16-/270709198185?pt=Women_s_Clothing&hash=item3f07868d69

this might let you see, the pics arent great but there clothes are gorgeous
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport