PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2011 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• sazzledazzle
    Options
    Spent another £3.90 last night in Mr S after dropping the OH off to watch the footie. It was all cleaning stuff on offer so dont mind and we needed it all. Hopefully a NSD today.
    MAY NSD's

• findingmyfeet
    Options
    just done my first shop for march, slightly more than i wanted but had to buy washpowder, dishwasher stuff etc as all ran out at the same time:mad:. will have to keep my eye on that one and try to stock up /stagger the buying.

spent £60.37 in a*di and had a great trolley full. plenty for this week and some for the store cupboard too.

been given a load of carrots so tonights meal im trying carrot and coriander soup and hm breadrolls/garlic or cheesy bread to go with it. minus the cream though as the dreaded diet has commenced!...been putting it off since new year :rotfl:
    sealed pot member no :081:o 2011- £306.68 2012-£304.36 2013- £387.44 2014 - £441.43 ;)£482.30 2019 £655.58
  • cutiepieabf
    cutiepieabf Posts: 344 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    M0neysav3r wrote: »
    Great Idea! I've never actually thought of doing a 4 week meal plan, although do a weekly one. Do you find you're eating the same things a few times that month though?

Re the Breadmaker - 'touch wood' this mornings has gone according to plan! I just put the water in first etc and left the yeast on top, so far it looks good and has actually mixed well, yesterdays was a pile of yucky mush at this stage, but has about an hour left to bake yet.

i have never done a link before so here goes ---> 4wk meal plan
    it is a really good chance to try new recipes. and if you are stuck for inspiration there are threads on mse where people post their weekly plans so if you do a quick search you should find one of them. HTH. :)
    DFBX2016 #160 - £3550/£8800

DFBX2017 #160 - £0/£11,378

£0/7807 CapOne (0% PAID) £0/2776 Tesco (0% PAID)
    £820/820 HSBC OD (100% PAID) £0/£795 HSBC M/C (0% PAID)
  • cutiepieabf
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    i have never done a link before so here goes ---> 4wk meal plan
    it is a really good chance to try new recipes. and if you are stuck for inspiration there are threads on mse where people post their weekly plans so if you do a quick search you should find one of them. HTH. :)

IT WORKED!!!! theres hope for me yet ;)
    so the only thing that has been repeated in the 4wks is curry cos OH loves the stuff. but i make it in the SC now and you get atleast 4 helpings from it so i can freeze two for next time.
    happy planning!!!!

• laineyc_2
    laineyc_2 Posts: 923 Forumite
    Options
    Hello everyone. The sun is trying to break through the clouds.

I had a busy morning. First I went to youngest DS's assembly then off to Lidl's and Wilkinsons. I some veg and other bits. I bought a rake at Wilko's. I was lucky to get home without injuring someone!

I am having a wee break then I have to boil a ham then make some soup. I should have plenty ham left to freeze for pies, etc. I hope to bake some choc chip cookies but they may have to wait until after the school run.
    GC 2011 Feb £626.89/£450 NSD3/7 March £531.26/£450 April £495.99/£500 NSD 0/7 May £502.79/£500
    June £511.99/£480 July £311.56/£480
  • cutiepieabf
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    laineyc wrote: »
    Hello everyone. The sun is trying to break through the clouds.

I had a busy morning. First I went to youngest DS's assembly then off to Lidl's and Wilkinsons. I some veg and other bits. I bought a rake at Wilko's. I was lucky to get home without injuring someone!

I am having a wee break then I have to boil a ham then make some soup. I should have plenty ham left to freeze for pies, etc. I hope to bake some choc chip cookies but they may have to wait until after the school run.

what ham do you use? a piece of gammon? and how long do you boil it for? i have only ever roasted gammon (or fried/grilled steaks) so would be interested to know how you boil it?

thanks. :)

• debtfreewannabe321
    Options
    Hi everyone :) am back from my weekly shop, already had veg & fruit and today went to A$da and spent £66.44 which i thought was pretty good :) i bought a HUGE gammon joint which was reduced from £15!! to £8.38 :T so as I type that is in the slow cooker, will slice that later and use for sandwiches and also meals (slices of gammon) can anyone tell me is it ok to freeze once cooked, does it defrost ok and taste the same?? AND if anyone has any other meal ideas please share (this joint is HUGE and atm there is only me & two little ones at home lol)

Also got a brisket of beef which i was planning on slow cooking also and using as slices in a noodle dish, again small slices for the fridge and for a roast...would this also be ok to use in a stew if already cooked? or should I cut it in half and use the half for stew from raw? if you see what i mean?

I got 2 large chickens also -one in oven now for curry/roast and sandwiches, and other in freezer (for when MIL comes to visit next week) :T AND i am going to attempt to make sausage rolls with some sausage meat i bought I hope it turns out ok :rotfl:I'm not much of a cook!

Stocked up on tins & sauces (really should learn to make my own but they are so cheap i think s*d it can't be bothered)

Anyway a good shop I thought and hopfully should make plenty of meals to freeze, and so hoping i can get a cheap shop next week -we shall see though lol :rotfl:
    MFW #17
    EF- £55.75/300 ~ NSD 0/15 ~ FOOD & TOILETRIES BUDGET 0/£500 ~ MOP- 0/50
    MORTGAGE BALANCE JAN 1st £99224.13 ~~~ MAY 1st £
  • debtfreewannabe321
    Options
    what ham do you use? a piece of gammon? and how long do you boil it for? i have only ever roasted gammon (or fried/grilled steaks) so would be interested to know how you boil it?

thanks. :)

I use a gammon ham and boil for around an hour and half (this is usually the smaller £4-5 joint. There are instructions on the back of the pack usually i think...I usually stick a fork or something in after an hour or so and if it's done it will go straight through no toughness, I also turn it in the pan half way through as i never seem to have a big enough pan to cover it entirely with water lol.
    MFW #17
    EF- £55.75/300 ~ NSD 0/15 ~ FOOD & TOILETRIES BUDGET 0/£500 ~ MOP- 0/50
    MORTGAGE BALANCE JAN 1st £99224.13 ~~~ MAY 1st £
  • laineyc_2
    laineyc_2 Posts: 923 Forumite
    Options
    It's gammon. I boil it with onion, carrots and cloves. I will bake it this evening glazed with honey.
    GC 2011 Feb £626.89/£450 NSD3/7 March £531.26/£450 April £495.99/£500 NSD 0/7 May £502.79/£500
    June £511.99/£480 July £311.56/£480
  • Princesslauraliz
    Options
    Hi everyone

Hope everyone is well – I’m sorry to say I haven’t been on the forums for a few weeks as I’ve been so busy at work and socially, which probably explains why I went over budget in February – so I am confessing to having spent £177.71 out of my £150 – bad lizzygirl!!!

Anyway – onwards and upwards – please can you put me down for £112.50 for March’s challenge – we will be away at the end of the month and therefore should be trying to use up what food we have in the cupboards instead of buying more!! Well that’s the intention anyway!!

Definitely going to try and pop onto the forums a bit more this month as it seems to keep me on the straight and narrow when I read everyone’s posts.

Good luck for March’s challenge – we can do it!!! :A
    go to the graze website and enter this code: 4LKM1R3B to get your first graze box free and the second half price!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure