We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

How reliable is The registers for judgments and fines? Thoughts/advice?

This is in relation to the council tax arrears which my flatmate has gotten us in to.

I can't trust her at the moment so I'm doing everything I can to find out how affected I am and what my options are. I've previously reviewed my credit files and everything seems to be OK, there's nothing of any concern registered so I'm happy on that front.

I spoke with an advisor on the National Debt line this evening as I was worried about Charge for Payments, I wanted to know if this was the same as a CCJ (he said it wasn't quite the same as CCJ, I'm still learning and trying to understand). this is the closest thing I can find to understanding what a CFP is
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+1]What is a Charge For Payment? [/SIZE]

[/FONT] A Charge For Payment is a formal demand for payment following a decree. It will take the form of a document with the words Charge For Payment at the top.

A decree is a formal order of a court which says the debtor must pay money to a creditor. This might follow court action such as a small claim up to £750, summary cause (£750-£1500) or an ordinary action (more than £1,500).

A Sheriff Officer usually serves the Charge For Payment and you have to pay the debt within 14 days of it being served

Like I said, I don't trust my flatmate so I'm not entirely sure how bad things have gotten (i.e. gone to court).

The advisor at the National Debt Line suggested I go on to the Registers for Judgements and Fines website http://www.trustonline.org.uk/ to find out whether or not the council tax matter has been to court. I did two searches on myself costing £8.00 each.

This is the result I found for both:-

Scotland Summary and Small Claim Decrees
NOTHING REGISTERED


Now, before I can breathe a huge sigh of relief I'd like to enquire as to how reliable the Registers for Judgements and Fines is? Can anyone be so kind as to advice, I'd really appreciate it.

I'm just looking for peace of mind... *worried*

Comments

  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Council Tax liability orders are totally outwith consumer credit records.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Council Tax liability orders are totally outwith consumer credit records.

    is The Registers for Judgmentsand Fines considered a consumer credit record?

    Can you elaborate? I'd really appreciate it. As you can appreciate I've got a lot to understand and learn.

    Many thanks in advance.
  • Bump!

    Anyone....
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.