PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Not so green fingered

Options
Hi guys

I wonder if you could advice me on what I can grow at this time of year and where I can pick up free info on the subject. I have never really grown anything and have abit of space which is not used for anything. I have always managed to kill plants even the growing herbs from supermarkets don't last that long with me - so I am being quite ambitious!!

thanks

Comments

• tanith
    tanith Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There are some things that can be successful in the winter... some root crops can be put in in the Autumn and Broad Beans and purple brocilli... but you must look for winter cropping varieties..... good luck

https://www.greenfingers.com is a good site for info
    #6 of the SKI-ers Club :j

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
  • angelavdavis
    Options
    There is a nice pea called Feltham First that is a good cropper. I plant them twice so you get a mix of age of plants to keep the cropping period going and to make up for the ones the mice dig up to eat!

Once the plants start growing, push twigs into the soil for them to clamber up.

I have also got purple sprouting brocolli, spring cabbages, spring onions and garlic in at the moment that I planted a month ago.

Plants will grow slower over winter, you can place home made cloches (made of cut down plastic water bottles with the lid taken off) to protect the plants from frost and cover any unused ground with black plastic (with a few holes inserted at regular intervals and weighed down with bricks to stop it getting too cold/water-logged and weed infested).
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Those herb pots from the supermarkets don't last long anyway. They are not grown to do so, so don't let that prevent you from having a go! Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure