MSE News: Birmingham Citizens Advice Bureaux saved

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
10 replies 1.8K views
MSE_GuyMSE_Guy MSE Staff
1.7K Posts
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The quintet of drop-in hubs had been earmarked for termination due to a lack of funding from the local council ..."

Replies

• fermifermi Forumite
    40.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks. Good news for them and the people who need their help. :)
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • lemonjellylemonjelly Forumite
    8K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    It isn't quite saved yet though.
    From the information that I have, the council funding is in place up to the end of March. The council have not yet announced whether they will be giving any funding to Birmingham CAB in the next financial year.

Staff are still going to be getting their redundancy notices, & AKAIK the service will still face reductions.

Birmingham CAB originally believed that they would have to start winding down operations from 14 February. As it stands, it is business as usual for the staff and volunteers working there, but they don't know how long for.

MSE Guy, thanks for raising the profile of this story, including the lawyers2you aspect. It is a fantastic demonstration of an organisation looking at social responsibilities and impacts at a time like this.
    It's getting harder & harder to keep the government in the manner to which they have become accustomed.
  • MSE_GuyMSE_Guy MSE Staff
    1.7K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
    We've been told by the CAB that as things stand, there are no plans for Birmingham to shut so it's business as usual. However, as with anything in this economic climate, matters can change quickly.
    lemonjelly wrote: »
    It isn't quite saved yet though.
    From the information that I have, the council funding is in place up to the end of March. The council have not yet announced whether they will be giving any funding to Birmingham CAB in the next financial year.

Staff are still going to be getting their redundancy notices, & AKAIK the service will still face reductions.

Birmingham CAB originally believed that they would have to start winding down operations from 14 February. As it stands, it is business as usual for the staff and volunteers working there, but they don't know how long for.

MSE Guy, thanks for raising the profile of this story, including the lawyers2you aspect. It is a fantastic demonstration of an organisation looking at social responsibilities and impacts at a time like this.
  • SnowManSnowMan Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just want to thank all at MSE also for championing this important issue and for recently highlighting the threats to the Financial Inclusion Funding of debt advice.

Thank you so much
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • lemonjellylemonjelly Forumite
    8K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    MSE_Guy wrote: »
    We've been told by the CAB that as things stand, there are no plans for Birmingham to shut so it's business as usual. However, as with anything in this economic climate, matters can change quickly.

Yes, in this time anything can change at a moments notice.

If this is Citizens Advice official line, then it is excellent news (I am naturally cautionary). & I repeat, the input of the profile raising of this issue by MSE is highly commendable - & the people of Birmingham, as well as those who work there are very grateful! On behalf of them, many thanks.
    It's getting harder & harder to keep the government in the manner to which they have become accustomed.
  • My mum went into the Hull citizens advice today and she was told they're closing in March. As far as I know it's the only branch in Hull :(
    2011 Wins: Recipe book
    Big thanks to all comp posters x

• debt_doctordebt_doctor Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    missnikkai wrote: »
    My mum went into the Hull citizens advice today and she was told they're closing in March. As far as I know it's the only branch in Hull :(

My information on the Hull office is that there will be no change to any client services now that FIF funding has been restored. It may be that the person spoke to had not been updated. Without FIF it's days were numbered, like most CABx.

DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • savingwannabesavingwannabe Forumite
    16K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My dad has been using them to help me and said the advice given by CAB in Birmingham was invaluable. It is disgusting that the council was even considering closing it down. Funny how bankers who created this crisis still get bonuses whilst the public and public sector jobs suffer. What lessons are being learned here????
    Try to have a minimal spend year in 2021
    Saving change in money box.
  • edgexedgex Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    MSE_Guy wrote: »

Birmingham CAB were told every year that they received funding from the council that future funding WAS NOT guaranteed
    this has been the case for a number of years now
  • Given that the CABx were originally set up with public funding (Ministry of Health and National Council of Social Services) and that they provide an essential public service, it's a pity that they have to go through an endless round of begging for funding.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides