Eek. Slightly confused but raring to go. What's a paddle? I think I need one.. :o(

Options
Hi everyone!

I think I need some help before I end up in a pickle. I'm not sure if here is the right place. I usually am on the Old Style thread but haven't been on MSE for ages. I am now officially giving facebook a rest and doing something positive instead, like sorting out our debts.

I'm a stay at home Mum. We have 2 children aged 4 and 5, 2 dogs, my husband is self employed and we are sort of doing sort of ok. Sort of. Apart from the credit card bill. And the overdrafts that I just keep increasing a little bit, even though it costs me £25 a time to do that. I feel like I'm on a slippery slope as it's been a long while since I've seen a positive balance involving our finances (or anywhere, actually! But that's another story...)

I have recently come off prozac and am trying to regain some sort of control and prove everything's FIIIINE. I'm sure it will be :o

We are on a very tight budget, although dh is self employed he did that so his hours are more flexible and he can spend more time with the kids. We're quite a cheap to run family, we don't go away a lot or keep up with 'things' like technology, etc. We do feel quite ashamed of the glass recycling 'box of shame' and we've noticed that our wine habit has upped over recent months.

I feel a little out of control and I think I need to start looking at things more realistically than I have been. Instead of buying that support underwear because obviously it'll change my life and make everything great again, and for £38? Meh. Bargain.

Hmmm. That's sort of how it's been.

Anyway. I'm not sure if I've gone about this the right way. I really am rubbish at directions and would love to know what a paddle is. If it is for what I think I need a good steering one I think to stop me from hitting the rocks!

Thanks folks. I hope that I can be of some support to others and get some help before we end up in a proper pickle (like my Mum did. Which I said I'd NEVER do. :()

Lucy x

Comments

• Winnie_in_Pooh
    Options
    Hi Lucy :)

I'm in a very similar situation - recently off prozac and in a bit of a pickle! It seems the best place to start is with a statement of affairs (there is a link at the top of the main DFW page) and let the brilliant people on here have a look and point you in the right direction!

BTW, I think support underwear is always a bargain :o:p
  • Lizbetty
    Lizbetty Posts: 979 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 February 2011 at 11:54AM
    Options
    Thanks so much.

I love your name on here! It reminds me of this - "Here is Edward Bear, coming downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on the back of his head, behind Christopher Robin. It is, as far as he knows, the only way of coming downstairs, but sometimes he feels that there really is another way, if only he could stop bumping for a moment and think of it." A.A. Milne

Which reminds me of me :( But I'm going to stop bumping down on my head and slide down the bannister instead I think! (In theory! Haha!)

I hope you are finding it ok coming off your meds, it is slightly more difficult than I'd anticipated. Hopefully your doc and family are giving you plenty of support?

Right, I'm off to read a bit more. Thanks again for the pointer :beer:

Lucy xx
  • Winnie_in_Pooh
    Options
    I love that quote! And its so true! Think I'd better sand the splinters off our banister before sliding down it, but hey - something to aim for :D

I came off the meds about 4 months ago because we wanted to try for a baby and the docs couldn't promise me that the meds wouldn't interfere with that. Its been tough tbh, but now I've fallen (only 4 weeks atm though so :S) I've found that baby brain has taken over! I did find myself self medicating with booze quite a bit though which someone pointed out over xmas which was a bit of a wake up call tbh. Got a brill DH though so it'll all work out fine I'm sure :). Are you getting enough help?

W xxx
  • Lizbetty
    Lizbetty Posts: 979 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 15 February 2011 at 3:46PM
    Options
    Oooh! Congratulations!!! :j:j:j:j
    How exciting! Will it be your first baby? I remember the horrible sicky feeling. Which is good news because it shows hormones are strong but AAARRRGH! I was glad when that bit was done. You sound like you have a great OH.

I was on nortriptyline (for PND) after I had my 2nd baby as it was the only one they said was ok with breastfeeding. I was so pleased to eventually swap onto prozac as the dry mouth thing with nortriptyline wasn't great.

I am glad I did go on prozac as it helped so much, but I found that there wasn't really that much info available on side effects from the doc. Did you find that too?? I'm also blessed with a very tolerant and understand dh and so he's been great for when I've been errrrr....not great! :o And a bit shouty.

I'm still hanging fire to see if it was the right decision. Very good and very bad days so far! Sort of solar or polar. I hope that you've found it better. I think pregnancy hormones can really change your whole balance - I found I was actually ill a lot less while I was pregnant! I hope that your pregnancy hormones are kind to you, too. It sounds very much like an exciting new start for you! :T

I must admit I've been relying rather too much on wine to help relieve stress. I really ought to take up blinking crochet or something. Wine makes me feel worse in the long term, did it you?? But I'm not giving myself a hard time about things, sort of going with the flow until I get back to normal really. Although I've forgotten what that is??!!

I hope to bump into you again. Thanks again for your loveliness!
    Lucy xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport