equita...please help :(

Options
Hi am new to site stumbled across it whilst searching out info on Equita, have read have spent half the day reading through but still cant make head or tail of it :( Council tax debt.

First letter from Equita is dated 21/10/2010 states- On 24/8/2010 the borough obtained a liability order for recovery of outstanding Council Tax and you were ordered to pay costs. Abalance of £1,191.05 remains outstanding.

I phoned and made the 1st payment of £50.00 and was told i had £1 charge for paying by card, and set up a payment plan for £50.00 a week, unfortunatly due to bad weather (hubby a roofer) we had no 2nd income so this did not get paid for 4 weeks.

The next thing i know 14/1/11 my phone is ringing at 6.45 in the morning, answer it, its the Bailiff saying hes on my doorstep n wants to come in, deffo wasnt gonna let him in, thankfully it was payday so was able to pay £100.00 over the phone and arranged to pay it asap by the end of march and would do it over the phone, on the 21/1/11 i had £799.55 total left to pay. paid the balance on the 29/1/2011. i asked for a receipt of this to be sent.

Proper busted a gut and borrowed from family just to clear it and get the bailiff letters to stop and know they wasnt gonna darken my door again. figured that was it done and dusted.

Last monday To say i was shocked when i then get not 1 but 2 letters from them dated 2/2/11 first one stating -despite repeated requests you have failed to clear the outstanding balance, and i have now arranged removal contractors to visit your home within next 24 hours. Second one stating -further to your communication and can confirm that the balance, subject to additional recovery action, on your account is £226.00. i phoned the bailiff to ask what was going on as i had paid it in full, was told to contact the local council, to which i done straight away and was told that someone would call me back. Needless to say that call never came.

Tuesday Following day i get another leter dated 3/2/2011 - further to our previous correspondence i am dissapointed to note you have still failed to pay the outstanding ballance unless £226.00 is paid or satisfactory payment plan entered into i have no alternative to instruct my bailiffs to call and remove goods without further notice. Phoned the council again, went through the whole thing over again to be told that the bailifs would be put on hold, and my queery would go to collections i asked to bew called back within 24 hours
(not unreasonable considering the demands they've all made on me over the last few weeks). funny enough ive still had no phonecall to date. (if only it was funny)

Saturday just gone i get yet another letter in big letters ENFORCEMENT NOTICE.

This morning I decided to pay the council office a visit, i wanted someone to come and talk to me face to face not over the phone nothing gets done over the phone i wanted to show all the letters, they refused to come down and talk to me, the man then went on to tell me that he doesnt have the answers to my questions and will call me back tommorow :(.

i return home to find the receipt from the bailiffs

Debt £1,399.05
court costs £0.00
bailiff costs £244.50
vat £0.00
paid £1,435.55

total outstanding £208.00

I was never told about this grand total debt and how can they justify those fees just for posting a letter through my door???

spoke to C.A.B this afternoon and was told i could have an appointment but i must take in proof of child tax credit and working tax credit, mine and hubs bank accounts, payslips or they wouldnt be able to help me

in total meltdown and dont know what to do from here any advice would be really appreciated so sorry for the essay just didnt want to miss out any vital info :( many thanks in advance

HAD ENUFF

Comments

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family