Solar pannels and storage heaters

13»

Comments

• PeterZ_2
    PeterZ_2 Posts: 219 Forumite
    dane-katie wrote: »
    I was wondering if i got a couple of storage heaters, if i had solar pannels fitted (for free or cheap) and had them heating up during the day when the electric is free to give out heat at night.

Would this work or am i being optimistic?

Thanks

I get the impression your hubby is technically minded or good at DIY?

If cash is tight (as it is for many of us at the moment) then you could look into a DIY solar heater. You need nothing more than an insulated box, some glass or old double glazing units and a small fan to blow the air round. Plenty of designs on the web and it can be made for peanuts. If you have plently of space then even better.

Note that they will only help supplement your heating by a very small amount, but then it wont leave you £1,000s out of pocket after buying solar panels.

Or even make your own solar hot water heater. Dont ever buy a solar hot water system, the savings are very small compared to the money you save. This kind of thing only makes sense if you DIY at very low cost.
  • tr8
    tr8 Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    dane-katie wrote: »
    Its cold all year round where i live, yes it might only be Sheffield but i live next to an open field and its horrible in summer always cold due to the wind :(

Why not look into a wind vane if you have so much wind, that comes all year round and still has a fit tarrif
    :money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport