When do I have to pay them?

dodgy
dodgy Posts: 162 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi,

I had my accountant fill out my tax return which I signed and sent back to the Revenue some months ago. He noted that I will owe them about £800.

I've been waiting for some sort of confirmation or bill from them - is this the right things to do? They're not expecting a cheque or something?!

Just don't wanna get into trouble :-)

Comments

• Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think if the Income Tax you owe is less than £1,000 that the Inland Revenue collect it by adjusting the Tax Code in the FOLLOWING tax year.

Why not tell your accountant that you have received no bill to see what he/she says. Don't ask for advice though - may just charge you for it!
  • Tax Office have told me they are collecting my underpayment for 2003-2004 via my code number in 2005-2006 but because i am on a tax code that has used up all my tax free allowances with only a small source of income from an annuity,i will have to pay full underpayment within 30 days to avoid insufficient pension each month in 2005-2006.Any way round this or do i bite the bullet and pay?Underpayment was their fault. Grateful for any suggestions.
    Val :)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Depending on the circumstances you may have the right to appeal that there was Official Error and ask the Inland Revenue to remit the underpayment. No harm in trying.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure