Poll - JobCentre Plus 'Courses': Useful or Waste of Time?

Options

Comments

• littlestar1981
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    if you want to get off jsa asap then look for a job, send out spec letters with cv, doo all you can do to get a job

No S*** Sherlock.... I never knew that's what jobseekers had to do... look for a job...!!!
    OU Student! - ED209, SDK125, DSE212, SK124, DSE141, SD226, DXR222, DD303, DD307 = BSc Psychology
  • MsHoarder
    Options
    So, just to summarise that.. I applied for JSA one week ago and by the end of tomorrow I'll have made 3 (expensive) trips to the JC to be told the same things by a different person each time. They need to make more effective use of their time I think.

If its not your normal sign on day, you should get expenses to go to the Back to Work thing, as long as you travel via the cheapest method (bus or drive and cheapest car park). At least that's what happened with mine.
    "Every single person has at least one secret that would break your heart. If we could just remember this, I think there would be a lot more compassion and tolerance in the world."
    — Frank Warren
  • hyperfunk_d
    Options
    Too good to be true.... they (finally after 3 weeks) phoned to rebook my 'back to work' group session!

After explaining to the advisor for close to 5 minutes why it is completely pointless attending a session that is (apparently) meant to help you back to work, because I am already going back to work in a week's time, she still said I needed to attend. I then tried to point out that it is a waste of the advisor's time and also taxpayer's money, she said she would get someone who runs the courses to call me back to see if I could "get out of it" as she put it.

It's so backwards it's laughable.
  • hyperfunk_d
    Options
    Ah, a quick update, but the course manager just phoned back. After again explaining why it is quite illogical to make me attend the course, he completely agreed with me and in his own words said "I know exactly where you are coming from and it would be very stupid to make you attend the course". Obviously though, this is the job centre plus and therefore I knew a but was coming... "But, it is still a requirement for you to do it, so I will have to rebook it no matter how stupid it may be".

To his credit he purposely booked it for the same day I will be returning to work, so I can call up and cancel on the day and tell them I am signing-off, but it still leaves a space in the group that someone else could have filled (that actually needed it) and also wastes another chunk of cash needlessly.

Incredible.... in the worst way.
  • AdamB
    AdamB Posts: 133 Forumite
    Options
    I went to the back to work course a couple of weeks ago. Like all the other posts, they just told me to do the things I was already doing. At the end, I asked the bloke if they can put people forward for SIA badge training. Thed answer was no. I then asked if he knew of any local companies that can do SIA training. Guess what the answer was... Yep... You guessed it.... No.
    Bank charges reclaimed: HSBC £1990

2007 Competition Challenge: Target £150
    So far...£373.48 (MS Office 2007 Professional Edition) and a rizla tin

I smell roses, but all I hear is flies
  • molly22
    molly22 Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 26 February 2011 at 1:18AM
    Options
    my brother is long term unemployed and has attended a few of these courses.
    i have sent him the link to this thread to see what his opinions are.
    but in the meantime his circumstances are about to change and he has enquired at the job centre as to what will happen, and twice been told by different interviewers to contact the Citizens Advice Bureau.
    is this correct?

why cant the JC inform him?
    why does he have to go to an external source for JC info?
    i find this very strange.

can anyone help??

thanks
    molly
  • Reverbe
    Reverbe Posts: 4,210 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 6 August 2011 at 5:49PM
    Options
    In my experience these jobcentres skills training and other courses are hopeless.It's a licence to print money for any of these 2 bit companies to give out their so called expertise when most of them are staffed by 20-25 yr olds who dont have a clue.I can teach a course telling anyone how to get a job. It doesnt take skills , experience or more than the most basic knowledge.
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
  • erdd2
    erdd2 Posts: 1,070 Forumite
    Options
    ohdamnit wrote: »
    Those people needing the help should get it, which funnily enough they can't because they send those not needing it on the course instead...

I agree given my experience....

Six in attendance

2 in their 60s recovering from heart surgery
    1 in his 40s awaiting surgery for leg injuries sustained in an assault
    1 in his 60s redundant from 45 years in a trade that is almost extinct
    1 in her 50s recovering from (and appearing to be on the verge of another) nervous breakdown
    1 in his 20s that was struggling with heroin addiction

Two course leaders that looked and behaved as if we were playing "school"

The course was not helpful to any of the attendees most of whom had been unemployed for less than 4 months and agreed this of no help and a waste of taxpayers money
  • chamley
    chamley Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    i thaught these courses had all finished,
    and there was just the work programe,
  • palna
    palna Posts: 438 Forumite
    Options
    If places like A4e are a scam, how would a4e make any money at all, because they only make money once you working.
    And if people find job themsleves why would it have took them that long to get a job.

At the momment jobcentre are ok, its only 2 months and they dont force me into any courses.
    in the past ive been to courses myself all waste of time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure