Extending mortgage in Northern Ireland query!

Options
Hi - does anyone know if it's true that when you extend your mortgage in Northern Ireland with your current lender you have to go through the whole mortgage process again, ie get a solicitor, have deeds released, money goes to solicitor to pay off old mortgage etc.

I have recently had mega problems with my building society when I extended my mortgage with them, and they told me that it's different in Northern Ireland that it's like taking out a new mortgage with a new mortgage company. I would put the exact wording of their letter here but I don't have it with me.

I've never heard of this before and wondered before I continue with my complaint if that's normal. Please help!
Regards

Rocka

Comments

• sunshine
    sunshine Posts: 174 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We did this earlier this year and didn't have to go through anyone else except for our mortgage lender, no deeds mentioned, no solicitor or anything.
  • nelliebag
    Options
    Rocka wrote:
    Hi - does anyone know if it's true that when you extend your mortgage in Northern Ireland with your current lender you have to go through the whole mortgage process again, ie get a solicitor, have deeds released, money goes to solicitor to pay off old mortgage etc.

I have recently had mega problems with my building society when I extended my mortgage with them, and they told me that it's different in Northern Ireland that it's like taking out a new mortgage with a new mortgage company. I would put the exact wording of their letter here but I don't have it with me.

I've never heard of this before and wondered before I continue with my complaint if that's normal. Please help!

I work for an IFA and we do it all the time for people (in N.I.). Just ring your lender and ask for a MATERIAL CHANGE form - its very easy to complete and allows you to change the package/term etc.
  • Rocka
    Rocka Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Hi - unfortunately I've already gone through the whole dreadful process - I wish I had posted here before I started as the whole thing ended up the most dreadful mess.

Nelliebag - as I said earlier I don't have the letter with me at the moment - if I post the exact wording of the letter here on Monday could you tell me if what they are saying is wrong because, if so, I think I'm going to file a complaint with the ombudsman as they treated me appallingly through the whole ordeal - it was as if I had done something wrong! I would be very grateful.

Thanks!
    Regards

Rocka
  • nelliebag
    Options
    Sure, happy to help
  • nelliebag
    Options
    Rocka, should have said earlier PM me if you want.
  • Rocka
    Rocka Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Nelliebag I really appreciate it - I'll be in touch tomorrow.
    Regards

Rocka
  • NAR
    NAR Posts: 4,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I extended my mortgage 2 months ago to pay for a new kitchen without any hassle. Sounds like you have been treated incorrectly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure