MSE News: More mortgages available but they're harder to get

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Lenders have become more strict when considering whether you can afford a home loan, though there's greater choice ..."

Comments

• shaunrc
    shaunrc Posts: 207 Forumite
    Thanks MSE Guy

I spotted this although I am usually to be found on the pension forum. I write a blog on economics and wrote on Friday about what the Bank of England is doing which is likely to restrict mortgage supply and thought I would share it.
    I have written before that I feel that this is going to be a hard year for the UK housing market. Please do not get me wrong it needs a downward adjustment but my fear is that this adjustment could accelerate in 2011 and there is a danger of it becoming something of a rout. I wrote an article elsewhere back in December about the Bank of England’s withdrawal of its Special Liquidity Scheme and the impact I feel that withdrawal around £9 billion per month is likely to have on the availability of credit in 2011 and in particular on mortgage finance. I feel more and more that this move was and is a policy error.

For those interested I write under http://noyayesmanseconomics.wordpress.com

In short I expect there to be issues about the quantity of mortgages available through out 2011.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser. For regulated individuals like me there are rules on giving financial advice. Therefore any posts I make are meant to be helpful but are not financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure