Holidays & job seekers allowance

Options

Comments

• cassieB57
    Options
    Magnolia wrote: »
    I am not sure about this - I could have dreamt it but can you not go to another area of the UK for a short period of time to research employment opportunities with a view to relocating.

Yes you can go to another area to look for work, in which case ask your 'home' JC for a form ES90 so that you can sign at the local JC while you are away. As long as the 'away' JC adviser considers your jobsearch in their area is sufficient, they will usually fax it to the home JC to update the signing so that your money is issued normally. you can do this twice before you have to either return to sign at your 'home' JC or transfer the claim to the new jc.So basically, can be away from home 41 days (as long as you still satisfy the basic conditions ) without transferring your claim. This applied to going away from home temporarily specifically to look for work, not to holidays or other absences, like visiting family for example.
  • PaddyPaws
    Options
    Just a quick update - I've just got back from signing on and mentioned my holiday (in the UK). You can be treated as actively seeking work for up to 2 weeks in a 12 month period but you must still be available for work, ie the correct answer to 'will you come back immediately to start work' is yes

I've just completed a form with the lady who was signing me, I go away the day before my next signing on date and come back 2 days before the following signing on date. I will go into JCP the day after I return and show my job search activities for the period between now and when I go on holiday and I will then get paid my JSA

I will be in several different locations as travelling around visiting places/people with my sister so couldn't give a contact address but they accepted my mobile phone number as a suitable contact

Hope this helps
  • ash2987
    Options
    i am planning a holiday (birthday present from the family )the week i am due to sign on.
    • If i miss a sign on (but tell them in advance) will i need to sign on the next available week or continue my usual fortnightly dates?
    • If i sign off then on again are payments resumed asap or will i have to wait another 4weeks?
    • If i stay in the UK realistically what are the chances of being contacted?
    Hope someone can help :)
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ash2987 wrote: »
    i am planning a holiday (birthday present from the family )the week i am due to sign on.
    • If i miss a sign on (but tell them in advance) will i need to sign on the next available week or continue my usual fortnightly dates?
    • If i sign off then on again are payments resumed asap or will i have to wait another 4weeks?
    • If i stay in the UK realistically what are the chances of being contacted?
    Hope someone can help :)

should have started a new thread but hey ho, if you go on holiday you tell the jc how long your away for and i would have thoguht they would tell you when your next sign on date is

you can do a rapid claim when you get back

well if you tell them where your going, tell them your mobile number and offer to have a gps locator attached to you then they could find you and contact you but if they dont have a mobile number for you then they cant contact you
  • skintbint_2
    skintbint_2 Posts: 1,822 Forumite
    Options
    even if you are going away for a day which doesnt coincide with your signing day you are supposed to notify the jobcentre (states it in your ES40), complete a form before you go and if you are missing your signing on day you have to attend the first available day after you return which will release any payment due. its not worth signing off and re-signing as it may delay your next payments.
    skintbint x
    here's tae us, wha's like us - fell few and and they're a deid"
    10k in 2010/£6988.30-69.88%@29/12/10, 11k in 2011/£897 07.04.11- fell by the wayside!!!
    12k in 2012 - £204.00 @ 4/1/12

do not confuse me with the other skintbint who joined dec2011 - i am the original bint:rotfl:
  • kazzah60
    kazzah60 Posts: 752 Forumite
    Options
    Taylorette wrote: »
    If the above 2 posts are correct then I apologise for giving the wrong information - and I am very annoyed at the fact I was made to sign off while visiting family down south!

I can confirm they are correct - we are in the same situation with my son - he is due to sign on the week we are away
    we were advised to call into the jobcentre complete a holiday form which asked where we were going, for contact details and if son would be job seeking that week

then he was told he could delay signing on until the day after we returned, his money wouldn't be released until he signed on - but he did not have to close his claim and re -open one
    this was last friday we signed the holdiay form - so very recently
  • tinshed
    tinshed Posts: 121 Forumite
    Options
    I had to sign off today as im going abroad for 11 days.

This signing on/off is absolutely crazy. Basically i now have to do a Rapid Reclaim when i return, so yet again i could be without benefit (to which im bloody well entitled to after paying NI and tax for the last 20 years with 10 of those at the higher rate) for upto 4 weeks.
  • patman99
    patman99 Posts: 8,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If you can time your holiday to avoid your signing on day, why bother mentioning it ?.
    As long as you have access to a PC, you can easily look-up all the days new job postings on Direct.gov and on Indeed.co.uk. It only takes 15 minutes each day and validates your requirements for JSA.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of £1,000 challenge - £13.74/ £1000 (that's 1.374%)

3-6 month EF £0/£3600 (that's 0 days worth)

• tinshed
    tinshed Posts: 121 Forumite
    Options
    Yes infact I should have lied because thats the best way isnt it :( in hindsight after reading this thread I should have said im holidaying in the UK travelling around so the only contact I have is by mobile phone. Oh well you live and learn.
  • Bobl
    Bobl Posts: 695 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hippygran wrote: »
    Really don't think you have to worry.

Whilst my niece was claiming Job seekers last Autumn, she got the chance to go and visit my sister (her aunt) in Jersey, all expenses paid, and they told her that it was classed as abroad, so she would not be able to claim the week's money if she went, BUT she was allowed to visit me as a holiday in Wales, as its the UK!!!!

They were fine allowing here to change her signing on date, but did ask for my telephone contact details so they could phone her that week if they checked. She provided them with my address and telephone number as asked, but they didn't do any checking!

Good job really - I would have had to say she was out! She was actually in Jersey!

Still don't really get why the trip to Jersey wouldn't have been allowed - it was her 21st birthday treat!

So, by that reckoning if you are going to Cornwall, and you tell them where, and you give them a phone number (you could even show them the booking confirmation, and tell them it was a gift!), then you shouldn't have any problems at all.

Good Luck, and stop stressing, and have a lovely relaxing time!:)

So you were happy for her to lie to gain benefits and for you to lie to back her up - what a good example you are!

Whilst I have no problem with anyone on benefits having a holiday, the rules are the rules, either stick to them or don't claim!
    Life is too short to drink bad wine!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport